The Diesel Stop banner

Drive shaft clunk?

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  69cj 
#1 ·
Truck makes noticable clunking noise when coming to a stop and sometimes when accelerating. Dealership said it is normal. I saw a previous post about drive shaft slip yoke. I'm just about to hit 36k miles and would like to have it repaired (if it needs to be repaired) before warranty expires. Any one know if this is normal?

#2 ·
If you are mechanically inclined you can do one thing quite easily and I bet it will take care of the problem. I had the "clunk" when taking off from a stop. I got together some rags, couple of good sized zip ties, spline grease(Grade 2 chassis lube is fine), a scribe to mark the shaft halves for re-install and necessary hand tools. Make sure the truck is chocked in place on level ground. I mark the shafts, removed the boot metal band, removed the two bolts that secure the carrier bearing to the frame crossmember, as you lower the shaft, it will seperated at the yoke. Clean the old grease off of the exposed splines, apply a liberal(only good use for that word) coating of grease to those splines and carefully reassemble the shaft, ensuring the splines line up as they were when taken apart. Tighten up the bolts for the carrier bearing, slide the boot back over the slip yoke and secure with the zip ties. Take the truck for a ride, and see if this took care of the problem, it did for me.

#3 ·
Good description of the procedure, Capt. I think Ford recommends a special (teflon ?) grease. It may last a bit longer.

Take Care

#4 ·
I wanted the dealer to lube my slip yoke, 03 f350, and was told that it doesn't have one, it is a one piece unit.

Maybe the new ones are different?

Mine still clunks as you describe.

Jon

#5 ·
#6 ·
Re: Hitecdan

Thanks for the Pics.

On 06/14/05 50,273 km

Complaint: Check for a slight clunk on light accel, felt thru floor board from a complete stop.

Corrrection: check for driveline clunk. TSB 4-22-7. Installed 2 shims under steady bearing. Road test. Much better. Note. As load is changed drive line angle will change and could cause some clunk when starting off.

Didn't work.

09/20/06 79986 km

complaint: diagnose and advise for cust concern of excessive drive line slack/loose.. clunks when coming to stop. cust request to drop drive shaft and lube splines.

correction: road tested vehicle for slack feeling in driveline. did not feel clunk/slack in driveline. Raise vehicle and inspect driveshaft. Driveshaft is a 2 piece that bolts to a flange on the back of the transfer case. no slip/yoke splines to lubricate. Checked u joints. U joints are tight.

................it still goes clunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

#7 ·

Thanks for all of the info. I'll see if the dealership will do it. If not, looks pretty straight forward. Other than this small annoyance, truck is perfect.

#8 ·

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all of the info. I'll see if the dealership will do it. If not, looks pretty straight forward. Other than this small annoyance, truck is perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Every Ford truck I have had since 1997 has done this. My 97 F150 did it and my F250 HD does it. They greased the slip yoke and it goes away for a while, but then it comes back. Apparently there used to be ("in the old days") a zirk on the yoke they could grease it, but now they done't. Last time, years ago, I asked about it they were going to charge me around $125 to grease the yoke....I live with the clunk; my buddy's Dodge 1500 does the same thing.

#9 ·
You might also try the blue marine grade grease. It is water resistant and has small fibers in it that would give a cushioning effect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.