The Diesel Stop banner

Drive-up ramp for workshop?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gab16 
#1 ·
I have a '92 E-350 RV, 10,500 gross. 7.3L IDI, 40k miles

This thing is too low to the ground for me to comfortably work under it. I shopped around for lift ramps thingees (what is the proper name?) but very few will handle this weight. They were fairly expensive, overly so at 1st glance. They were $500-$700.
I have a 275A buzz-box, grinders and cut-off saws, although I am not an experienced fabricator. But that's OK because I don't want to build a work of art, and if someone criticises it.. they can KMB. :)

I am wondering if anyone here has built such ramps. Or did you find serviceable commercial ones? If so I'd be interested in a picture or two. Sure I can design one, but if someone has done clever stuff I'd like to see it.

Occurs to me that one massive ramp, wide enough for my duallies would be heavy to carry. I am visualizing a 2-piece that fastens together securely for safety.

I welcome comments on this entire idea.

The pic say 1995-- the chassis is 1992. Guess it sat for a while at the manufacturer.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The caption of this pic contains a link to a free CAD program that compares to AutoCad:

It should be VERY easy to find 100 local fabrication shops with CNC plasma tables that can blast out anything you care to draw.

This can be had new & installed for ~$4500:

Shop around while you're designing & pricing your ramps.

I would NOT recommend splitting a ramp down the middle - it would suck if the gap opened up while you're under it. If anything, make the ramp section separable from the stand section. But a solid ramp will be much safer, cheaper, & easier. If it turns out heavy, just add wheels.

This caption explains how to find all the ID data on the vehicle:

#3 ·
#4 ·
They're a helluvalot cheaper on Amazon.
RhinoGear 11909 RhinoRamps Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 12,000lb. GVW Capacity) $33.99+ $5.00 shipping
RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX Vehicle Ramps (Pair, 16,000lb. GVW Capacity) $64.99

#5 ·
Never mind. They get crap reviews.

#6 ·
Did you see the customer pics of his ramps crushed by his Toyota?

#7 ·
I did.

#8 ·
I made my own using a beefy old railroad tie and a chainsaw to cut them to shape... I think the tie I used was 12"x12"x8' (approx.)

I cut it into 2 - 4' ramps with one cut. Easy peasy.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses... I have collected a buncha pics of various designs. Several wooden ones. I haven't really checked lumber prices but I'm pretty sure this would be cheap enough. I also have been collecting some scrap metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.