The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 f350 7.3 with 170000 miles on it. I am going to replace my slip yoke on my 2 piece drive shaft and it is a 24 spline with no long spline to center it. The casting number is c3-3-849-13. My problem is I can only find drive shaft yoke replacements that would fit but have either the long spline down the side labeled as "23 out of 24 spline" yokes with the casting numbers c3-3-849-11 or -12 at the end. Is it okay to use a long splined yoke onto the drive shaft or what do I do. The yoke itself is screwed and I need a new one but after 2+ hours of looking I couldn't find any replacements with the correct casting numbers and no long spline. What do I do??

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Any chance you can snap a couple photos?
Sounds like a great lower miles truck!

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
So your original slip yoke does not have the wide spline in this photo?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,753 Posts
A yoke with a wide spline will work on a fully splined shaft, but not vice-versa. You just need to pay attention to the orientation of the u-joint cups so it matches the original yoke. If you've already removed the original yoke, I hope you marked the position of the cups on the shaft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A yoke with a wide spline will work on a fully splined shaft, but not vice-versa. You just need to pay attention to the orientation of the u-joint cups so it matches the original yoke. If you've already removed the original yoke, I hope you marked the position of the cups on the shaft.
Trust me I have everything marked I found the correct driveshaft it turns out I did have a Wide spline on my old slip yoke but it was just so caked with grease from the previous owner that it had turned into the shape of the drive shaft splines. Aka it looked like it was a 24 spline with no Wides

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your original slip yoke does not have the wide spline in this photo?
At first no but I looked harder and I found it, it was just so caked in grease from the previous owner that I couldn't see it in the dim light I had. My fault but I'm glad I found it out.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
I'd love to after I get this all sorted, I believe that I've got it all figured out for now but we will see
I typed it poorly. I meant could you snap a photo of your splines because it didn’t make sense that you didn’t have the wide spline.

But I see you figured it out.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just curious ... why do you need to replace your yoke?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts