The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2000 crew cab long box with 172" wheelbase. The truck has a 4" lift and I bought it that way, I'm at least the 4th owner. I'm in the process of changing the carrier bearing and u-joints.

I've done a fair bit of research into everything and I've noticed my driveshaft is unlike any other I've seen in pictures or on YouTube. The difference is that the splined portion of the shaft is much longer.

The problem this creates is that the boot to go over it is way too short, and there's nowhere to clamp it to anyway. When I first looked under the truck to start this job there was no boot on the splines and no clamp suggesting there ever was a boot. I've tried looking and can't find a different, longer boot with the correct dimensions.

So what would you suggest I do here?

And while I'm asking, when I took the carrier bearing off, there was a collar sitting against the bearing, between it and the splines. What does it do? The new bearing doesn't come with a replacement so I am wondering if I should re-use the old one or not bother.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Likely the stock boot on a highly modified drive line that requires more spline travel from large angle changes. Depending on use type one could just keep the splines well lubricated, deal with the grease spinning off, go without a boot and have another periodic maintenance item to disassemble clean and reassemble. Cosmetics, in the eye of the beholder.

The collar next to the center bearing? Post a photo, I could speculate conceivable reasons to have it on a mod like yours but might be way off without seeing it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Attached is a photo of the collar and roughly where it sits on the shaft. The bearing would normally be to the left and this collar was pressed up against it.

Some kits such as this Spicer bearing come with a similar looking collar, but mine did not.

I also noticed on the female end of my slip yoke there's a grease fitting which I don't think others have.

I use this truck only for when I need a truck, mostly hauling lighter loads on highway, but that includes in the salt in the winter. But it doesn't get a lot of miles, less than 5000mi a year.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I don't have that collar on the splines. Many larger trucks have a similar open spline-no cover. They have a different perspective of what is cosmetically acceptable.

·
Registered
310 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts