The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2011 F350 dually powerstroke 6.7 diesel .I live in Arizona where the summer temp is 110 to 120 degrees and overnight temp doesn't drop below 90 degrees. I drive 86 miles a day 5 days a week. My question is should i use a higher weight engine oil thru the summer ? I have about 133,000 miles on the engine. It runs great . Any input would be great. Thank you

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
My question is higher weight than what, as in what are you using now??? The big question is what is your current oil temp? I ask that because I am an old 7.3 guy and don't know if that is tracked in the 6.7.
DENNY

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question is higher weight than what, as in what are you using now??? The big question is what is your current oil temp? I ask that because I am an old 7.3 guy and don't know if that is tracked in the 6.7.
DENNY
I am using 5-40 per owners manual. But my simple question to the more experienced 6.7 owners is it good practice to us a higher wt due to the high mileage of my truck, the high mileage that i drive every day and the extreme heat where i live.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
What would you go to? 15w40?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,492 Posts
What would you go to? 15w40?
Wouldn't make a bit of difference. At higher temps, 15w40 is the same as 5w40. Notice the 40 in both? That's the viscosity rating at higher temps.
I would use what the owner's manual specifies for oil viscosity.
The oil is going to run at roughly the same temp whether you're running at 75F or 100F. That's what the radiator and oil cooler are for.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I only use full synthetic and only Motorcraft. I recomend full synthetic because it stands up tp high temperatures better than regular oil. Don't use a heavier oil than what is suggested in the book. These motors are designed for a specific viscosity oil and I wouldn't change from that. So far your truck is doing fine so I wouldn't change what your doing unless you don't use full synthetic. DON't be fooled by the blend. It could only be 10% synthetic. It doesn't say on the bottle how much of a blend it is. If you use Bio Diesel you need to use full synthetic. It's in the book.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't make a bit of difference. At higher temps, 15w40 is the same as 5w40. Notice the 40 in both? That's the viscosity rating at higher temps.
I would use what the owner's manual specifies for oil viscosity.
The oil is going to run at roughly the same temp whether you're running at 75F or 100F. That's what the radiator and oil cooler are for.
Thanks for the info.
I only use full synthetic and only Motorcraft. I recomend full synthetic because it stands up tp high temperatures better than regular oil. Don't use a heavier oil than what is suggested in the book. These motors are designed for a specific viscosity oil and I wouldn't change from that. So far your truck is doing fine so I wouldn't change what your doing unless you don't use full synthetic. DON't be fooled by the blend. It could only be 10% synthetic. It doesn't say on the bottle how much of a blend it is. If you use Bio Diesel you need to use full synthetic. It's in the book.
Thanks for th info. I am using Mobile1 diesel 5w-40 Synthetic

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
You could run any oil speced for the motor you want in all honesty. Then you could see for yourself the results of different oils at different weights.

I've never heard to use a 15w40 oil on a "older/more miles" truck.....15w40, 10w30, or 5w40 are all oils you can use in the 6.7L motor. Just rethink the brand by following the "approved"/suggested oil list from Ford.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts