The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past couple weeks, we have been preparing for a move out of state and I was loading up things from my garage and shed that movers typically throw a fit over. I was using U-hauls U-Box service, which are these pods that they can put two to a trailer.

In this configuration, you are literately pulling a brick thru the air. So much so, that I felt no difference in pulling these empty or loaded with 3600lbs of my stuff.

In any case, I noticed that there is a significant increase in engine noise at 70mph, and ~1800rpms. The cabin is quiet and serene until I get to that 70mph mark and then this drone or growl starts. I don't see or feel any other symptoms. Should I be concerned? I don't recall hearing this noise while pulling my '73 bronco around. With a 1200 mile road trip planned in a couple months, I don't want to ignore this.

·
Registered
771 Posts
So it only does it while pulling these boxes? If so, I think that's your answer. It may sound like it's coming from the engine, but it could be these things throwing sound around. I would just stay under 70 while pulling these.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even empty, I get the drone. But it certainly wasn't there the last time I pulled my bronco. I was hoping it was simply the engine working hard, but I am pretty sure the drone was there even while maintaining 70mph on flat ground.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ah, gotcha. If it is repeatable, it might not hurt to take it to a dealer and see what they can find. There is just not enough info here I think for any of the armchair mechanics to make a diagnosis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2019 F350 Dually 6.7 4:10 axle at 67 - 69 mph i've notice a similar noise that goes away right at 70 mph and above. Noise is not present below 67 mph either. I have not towed yet, truck is 3 weeks old with 1,000 miles driven. The noise almost sound like a gear whine that i can stop by lifting my foot off of the accelerator and then reapply and load the drivetrain. I owned a 2013 6.7 dually with 3:73 axle and did not notice this. I am not going to act on it, just going to see if additional mileage makes it change.

Its is somewhat annoying, most of my driving is at 65 to 70 mph. I either drive through the 67-69 mph quickly to maintain 70 or i drive below 67.

Gary

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll at least call into the service dept and see what their recommendation is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts