The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of repairing my oil leaks in the engine valley. I decided to do the no EBPV pedestal, changed the turbo outlet housing to the one with no valve, bellowed up pipes.

To make a long story short I couldn't get the up-pipe to turbo clamp on with the nut installed (had the same problem getting it off), and of course I dropped the stupid thing putting it back on. I was slowly groping through the engine valley looking for it and I believe I might have knocked it down the weep hole in the back of the engine valley.

It was either that nut or a piece of dirt I missed I'm honestly not sure. I removed the inspection cover and pulled the starter. I cannot find that damn nut anywhere.

I've been searching trying to figure out where it would have gone had it gone down the weep hole with limited success. I think since it's a drain open to the atmosphere it hopefully couldn't have gone anywhere catastrophic. Can anyone confirm that?

Second question, what kind of nut was on that clamp? Will just about any nut work or do I need to get a new clamp with the supplied nut?

After all of this work I'm pretty frustrated I got careless for that split second, but hopefully I can somewhat easily recover.

Any helpful tips on what my next move should be?

Thanks,
Ross

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's a lock nut.
Haven't seen the drain hole in awhile, not sure if the nut will fit through. If so, it could be sitting behind the flywheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nut is tiny and will definitely fit through the hole. I'm almost certain that I pushed it through, though I didn't actually see it with my own eyes.

Could it have landed anywhere that could cause damage when I start it? I'm thinking I'll be fine but was hoping for someone else to agree it should be fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well good news is I can turn it over and nothing blew up. Bad news I still have no nut. Guess I'll go buy a new one!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Im willing to bet you your nut is sitting on top of the bell housing. I had recently pulled my turbo and when reinstalling it i lost about 4 of those c clips that hold the EBPV arm onto the turbo. I searched and search with my magnet on a stick and found nothing. Nothing until I had to pull the motor again...........even after driving a few thousand miles there they were, on top of the darn bell housing. Good luck searching. Duct tape wrapped around a stick with sticky side out has worked for me too.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you can't find a lock nut (don't get a nylock, that may not work very well lol) you could probably double nut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The nut on the V band clamp is a stainless 1/4-28 locknut. They are reused all the time and the locking feature is done with the first loosening. I never see them come loose on 7.3 or 6.0 motors in their various locations (2 on 7.3 and 3 on 6.0).

Have you fished a magnet down in the drain hole? The features of the back of the block where the rear main seal plate bolts up could hold the small nut. a pocket screwdriver magnet put in a piece of thinwall vac hose has retrieved a number of things from inside engines over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts