The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So truck has been running and starting perfectly for 3 years now. Changed all glow plugs, relay, voltage controller next to relay, and starter. Easy stuff for a reliable truck. So I went to tire shop to fix alignment today. They looked saw a bigger issue with tie rods and I decided to wait on the the fix. Tire mechanic jumps in truck says it wont fire up. This has not happened once since I put work into it 3 yrs ago. Coincidence? I don't think so...but hey **** happens.

My glow plugs are on a temporary switch, push button style on the dash. I told them this in case it got cold, and I think the tire dude may have pressed it far too long and somehow fried the relay and/or starter solenoid. I swapped relay and voltage controller out, nothing. Starter went from a dead click to no sound at all. I pulled starter and it is def dead. No response at all. Got new starter and installing in the morning.

Theorys on what went wrong? And how should I deal with tire shop? They were completely hands off mechanically. I spent 3 hours trying to fix this and swapping parts while the jerks started and laughed me off. Saying, it's an old truck man, that sucks. Ya..it sucks I came here and it got fried.

Frustrated, trying to care of this the right way though. Opinions and advice welcome.

This truck is only running bc of this forum so I have a lot of respect for this community. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I don’t see how this was the tireshops fault exactly. Sure its probably more than a coincidence and I guess its possible they tried to start it without toggling the GP switch at all or toggling it too long but that is the risk when a retro fit switch is installed by the owner.

Best to just focus on the mechanical repair like you are doing.

Sounds like you need to get a charge on those batteries also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
84 250 XL 6.9 for the record. Still figuring out how to do signature.

Anyways, fixed it. Replaced starter relay, starter motor. Both fried. Guy overcranked ignition and let starter run till it burned out I suppose. Or perhaps it was an act of god. They are paying parts and repairs regardless.

Honestly, if they had offered one bit of help I wouldn't ask for a dime. Manners and respect for others property is more important.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
84 250 XL 6.9 for the record. Still figuring out how to do signature.

Anyways, fixed it. Replaced starter relay, starter motor. Both fried. Guy overcranked ignition and let starter run till it burned out I suppose. Or perhaps it was an act of god. They are paying parts and repairs regardless.

Honestly, if they had offered one bit of help I wouldn't ask for a dime. Manners and respect for others property is more important.
Thats great they ponied up the price of parts and you got it running.

Sorry to play the devils advocate here and don’t let what I say reflect on your opinion of this forum. Sometimes I am just an opiniated SOB as I get older but from my way of thinking, I would not want young guys who work at a tire shop wrenching on my vehicle except for lugnuts. Especially if they don’t know enough to not overcrank a starter as you indicate.
Besides, if I was their boss I would not let them assist you in any way because:

1: They get hurt and its outside of their scope of work. I am responsible. I trained them only to safely change tires. Not perform other vehicle repairs.

2: Any customer who is angry and just accused my guys of causing his vehicle harm once is very likely to accuse them of any future damage as well and a 25 year old truck can easily have additional old components ready to fail or failed. Bolts that are stripped. Wiring that is cobbled together like glow plug shortcuts, etc..

No disrespect but you just got free parts and you are still PO’ed and finding fault...which tends to support my concern that if I were the manager that no matter what I did to help an irate customer it was not going to be enough in their eyes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a sick sad world. If they gave a crap I wouldn't care. But they didnt so f em

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'm just glad that my town has a lot of tire shops. If one of them ever does something like that to me, I will go to a different shop the next time. But so far, I haven't let them do anything other than change the tires, and they have done a fine job of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts