The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
First of all i tow a 13,000# 5th wheel and I have 3.31's. My truck has no problem with any hill or mountain I have ever encounted. I have been over just about every mountain range in the country. I have towed coast to coast twice both northern ans southern and across the middle. My truck never had any problem maintaining any speed. I never had to floor it to keep up. From California to Maine. From Texas to Michigan. and many roads in between.
With the 10 speed transmission gear ratio means nothing. The transmission will keep you in the gear that you need. I would however just go with the 3.55 unless you are going to hook up a plow you wont need 4.10's.
As for fuel millage. You are driving a truck that has 6 tires and punches a hole in the wind like a 747.
You like me didn't buy our truck for fuel millage but because it will do a job. Fuel millage never came into the equation.
Your truck wil get the millage it gets. Wind and load road conditions dictate fuel millage. That is why there is no fuel mill;age standards for Diesel trucks.

100% spot on. That 10 speed is a game changer. My 2018 F150 has the 10 speed and 3.55 with the EB, and effortless towing to GVWR and 12,500 GCVW. It pretty much negates the need for low gearing since final drive with higher gears is actually lower than the 6 speed with lower gears.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I recently bought a fifth wheel and towed it about 150 miles to get it home. I think my truck has the 3.31 gears (I know it's not 4.10) and the 10 speed. The transmission stayed in 9th gear most of the time with downshifts to 8th for hills and an occasional upshift to 10th on flat areas using the tow/haul setting on the transmission. My fifth wheel is about 12,500# empty. Mileage was about 11.5 mpg average for the trip. The truck never felt short on power and hills only took a little bit more pedal to maintain speed.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts