The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for tires. Running 255/85-16 which doesn't have a ton of options (but a lot more than there used to be). Trucks gets used a lot on service/gravel roads, often in pretty bad shape, but also on the highway. When I was at Les Schwab getting some Toyos fixed on a car, I was looking at the Toyo Open Country M/T and their house Back Country M/T. He really wanted to sell me the Back Country tires and told me all about how Toyo quality is really up and down now. I have actually found this to be true based on my own experience with them, but by and large they are usually fine, occasional bad apple and you get it replaced. On the Back Country tires, hardly any info online about them but what is there is generally good, however I can't see paying their $320 price for what I think are basically rebranded $240 Cooper ST Maxx units. The Coopers get pretty good reviews and seem to be what i want. Anyone with experience with either? Want something aggressive that will be happy on the unmaintained surfaces, get around in the winter, but run nice down the highway. I don't need them to last 60k miles and I don't mind spending money to get what will meet the criteria; I just don't want to spend the money and then have the wife tell me they are too loud on the way to the cabin.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Here's what I do. I buy the tires online at some site such as discounttiredirect.com with free shipping. I take them to my local tire store, where they mount and spin balance them for $15 per tire. That way, I get exactly what I want at a decent price.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'd find a Cooper dealer.

·
Super Moderator
25,171 Posts
I'd find a Cooper dealer.
I agree.
I just bought a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's 265/75R16 on a big road trip. $830 out the door (sales tax exempt). I've run Coopers on my truck since the original Firestones wore out and get good service from them. I went thru GCR in Spokane. There's also a branch in Auburn.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I do know HOW to buy tires, looking any feedback between the Toyo, Back Country and Cooper STs. Seems like they change so fast it can be hard to find much on any particular model.

·
Super Moderator
25,171 Posts
I do know HOW to buy tires, looking any feedback between the Toyo, Back Country and Cooper STs.
I wasn't suggesting HOW you buy tires, just WHERE. And also offering my experience with Cooper tires. Again, they've served me well. I did have one tread separation over all the years I've used them and they warrantied it.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Toyo open country m/t lt255/85r16 123p e (10 ply) bw
Average rating:4.2216out of5stars, based on167reviews
167 reviews
Toyo Walmart # 564902945
$212.99

Walmart has a good price on the Toyo open country m/t if you decide to go that way.

I just put Toyo open country h/t on my F150.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts