The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All: I am looking for free advice /knowledge bank: I have a 1991 International single axle dump (2400) that I have decided to rebuild. The truck (1991) was originally built for WSSC ( local water authority) as an in city service truck. It was powered by a dt466c with Allison mt653. I haul an equipment trailer and often have a GCW of 50-70K. My regular driving radius has been 100 miles but needs to expand. I have used it for 20 years and rather than buy a new/ different truck I decided to rebuild. I pulled the cab and motor. I blindly had my machine shop rebuild the dt466c and had a road ranger r13 built with .73 final ratio and am reworking the cab with luxuries like air ride seat and ac. I bought a new holset turbo to deliver 30psi and a 1995 dt466 pln parts motor for the Bosch pes6p pump. I now realize that the p pump won’t mate to the c motor and the 466c prolly wouldn’t be very dependable putting out the hp I need. I’ve decided to rebuild the pln motor and use it instead. I have the bigger radiator and after cooler required for 30 psi boost and hope to end up with 275-300hp. I will definitely have a pyrometer on the exhaust. I have a 30K rear with 5:38 gearing and this should let me cruise close to 70mph in top gear. I may drop that ratio if I need to. The pln motor supposedly had less than 100K mi on it. My machinist- Jan Norris, who knew everything about building hp into any motor up and died from Covid… His son and grandson know how to build motors but maybe don’t have the experience to set it up with high perf parts. Crank block and head look in good shape- dunno what Jan did with sleeves and pistons. Prolly need to find new there. I was told to change from bolts to studs and nuts for the head. Should I use standard valve gear pistons rods? I’ve got a call into the guys at oldinternationaltrucks.com and they are checking on what can be done to this motor. Lemme know what you think.

Tx

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.