The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hauled 10,000 lb trailer 500 miles in 90 degree weather through three significant mountain passes. Other than a blowout on the trailer no issues whatsoever on the 10 hour drive. Set out to return with the empty trailer and on comes the CEL. Friendly small town Ford dealer scanned the code and reported what is in the title above. Took the truck into my dealer this morning and they confirmed the code. DPF needs replacing. Only trouble is there doesn't seem to be any DPF's available! Service Rep says maybe two weeks. Has anyone else seen this code? Has anyone else had to replace the DPF? 2019 F250 with just under 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have seen it several times on the light duty trucks and the medium duties. There are actually a couple of TSB's for the code depending on the model...there is also a Field Service Action if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen it several times on the light duty trucks and the medium duties. There are actually a couple of TSB's for the code depending on the model...there is also a Field Service Action if I am not mistaken.
Thanks Doc! When I picked up the truck from the dealership after diagnosis the service rep said I could continue driving it but it may limit power in time. Do you know if continued use in this condition could cause other damage to the powertrain? I live in a rural area and don't feel like walking for hours to get a carton of milk! As unluck would have it my bush buggy (Kia Sportage) has decided to set multiple DTC's for fuel issues so I cannot even drive that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is it this part is not available and the dealer cannot tell me when it may be available? In the meantime I have a large, expensive paper weight.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
How is it this part is not available and the dealer cannot tell me when it may be available? In the meantime I have a large, expensive paper weight.
Often it is the result of unexpected demand exceeds supply. Most parts some from the venders where production and the date they will be releasing new stock is unknown at the time your dealer requests it. The problem is not necessarily Ford's fault and they do a fairly decent job at getting parts out when they become available. It happens frequently and since COVID this has become even more common. When part is back ordered with no ETA your orders get placed on a list and are filled as supply meets the demand. I have had many trucks down waiting for one or more parts for weeks and occasionally months. It is, what it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Often it is the result of unexpected demand exceeds supply. Most parts some from the venders where production and the date they will be releasing new stock is unknown at the time your dealer requests it. The problem is not necessarily Ford's fault and they do a fairly decent job at getting parts out when they become available. It happens frequently and since COVID this has become even more common. When part is back ordered with no ETA your orders get placed on a list and are filled as supply meets the demand. I have had many trucks down waiting for one or more parts for weeks and occasionally months. It is, what it is.
After having posted myI rant I contacted a dealer to discuss this shortage. Apparently there is a high incidence of theft of DPF's in the area. Do they have precious metals in them? That coupled with Covid production issues, design issues and what not the suppliers cannot keep up. Please tell me you haven't had too many trucks down waiting for parts for months. I truly wish I could have my warranty extended for the period of time my truck stands idle. I am very happy that it is not a tool in my income and only a recreational truck as I can't imagine what it would be like to have my money maker sitting in the driveway.

It comes down to frustrated. I got my bush buggy up and running after climbing out of the fuel issue rabbit hole and changed the plugs and wires. Runs like a top. Valve cover gasket drowned 2 of 4 plugs in oil. All plugs were gapped twice the spec by previous owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts