The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE, YOUR OPINION,on the use of 2-12 or 14 in electric fans,(with a thermostat and manual switch),(pushers),mounted in front of the intercooler. I am trying to cool the temps down when climbing,pulling a heavy 5er,at slow speed. I'm trying to increase the airflow at slow speeds Will this decrease the air flow at normal driving? I do down shift when necessary.This is just an idea I have had.
Thanks a bunch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Just asking...But wouldn't the air flow through the coolers be restricted by the fan on the W/P , thereby negating any extra flow?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just asking...But wouldn't the air flow through the coolers be restricted by the fan on the W/P , thereby negating any extra flow?
No, it would be like saying the grill gets in the way of flow....

And I think what he's getting at is the fan on the truck isn't keeping up to the load/conditions? So it would turn on if it got warm either way.

Is your factory fan engaging as it should (does it get really loud)? I haven't heard of very many cooling issues on the PSD?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would think swapping in the 6.0 cooler. They are what 31 rows. Its about 2x that of the 40K/V-10 cooler. Its likely more costly but I woudl think is the better fix. Sometime you can get good deals on Ebay for them. I am assuming we are speaking of tranny temps here. If its coolant temps that is very unusual with the 7.3. The 7.3 is usally extremely good are keeping cool. I woudl be looking at other casues if its coolant ie waterpump, thermostat etc.. But for the tranny the real fix is going to that big honking 6.0 tranny cooler. Its jsut hard to swallow the added cost compared to add on coolers.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
PLEASE, YOUR OPINION,on the use of 2-12 or 14 in electric fans,(with a thermostat and manual switch),(pushers),mounted in front of the intercooler. I am trying to cool the temps down when climbing,pulling a heavy 5er,at slow speed. I'm trying to increase the airflow at slow speeds Will this decrease the air flow at normal driving? I do down shift when necessary.This is just an idea I have had.
Thanks a bunch :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If your talking EGT's. You don't mention what temps your seeing, maybe your temps are totally normal, and your just worried for nothing?
I seriously doubt that will help much if any. Tunes make the biggest difference. Turbo, air filter, and exhaust of course too.
I really don't think the 6.0 intercooler is that much better than the 7.3L one either. Air flows through them well, no matter what.
At slow speeds, your going to have higher egts, that's all there is too it!
Towing over a mountain pass, you just have to adjust your driving habits, and life with 1,000* or what ever your getting. (Even 1250* isn't dangerous.) 1350 for extended periods is what will harm your motor... touching 1400 or more for a couple minutes isn't gonna kill you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
cant remember the name of the fan but they make an electric fan to replace the factory engine fan that seems to work really well.
it is a bit pricey last time i checked though like $600

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the egt I am concerned about.It reaches 1250 and I have to back off and live with it.
I figured using add'l fan for cooling,at slower speed,would help. I picked up a 6.0 intercooler and it isn't that much larger,so I didn't put it in.
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's the egt I am concerned about.It reaches 1250 and I have to back off and live with it.
I figured using add'l fan for cooling,at slower speed,would help. I picked up a 6.0 intercooler and it isn't that much larger,so I didn't put it in.
Thanks for the replies

is the prob in the down pipe or the left exhaust manifold?
mine is in the manifold & i drive by the gauge. they say you can go up to 1300 for a few seconds with it in the manifold.

·
Registered
126 Posts
NO, fans won't help EGT issues, try different tuning.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is EGTs that totally different. First I woudl look at your tuning.

What tunes do you have from DP? Are you using his max weight tow tune? How old are your tunes? I would give Jody a call.

Water injections will without a doubt have a great effect.

The 6.0 intercooler is very marginally better so it will not be of any real help. You would need to go to a Spearco which is around $1K

How is your boost PSI looking? Possibly any leaks? Split boot etc..?

When you say at slower speeds what range are you speaking of and what gear is it holding in? I assume this is pulling up a steep grade yes? How much weight are you pulling?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
This is EGTs that totally different. First I woudl look at your tuning.

What tunes do you have from DP? Are you using his max weight tow tune? How old are your tunes? I would give Jody a call.

Water injections will without a doubt have a great effect.

The 6.0 intercooler is very marginally better so it will not be of any real help. You would need to go to a Spearco which is around $1K

How is your boost PSI looking? Possibly any leaks? Split boot etc..?

When you say at slower speeds what range are you speaking of and what gear is it holding in? I assume this is pulling up a steep grade yes? How much weight are you pulling?

What he said

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
1250 is not bad. Heck, don't even back off if that is as high as it's getting. Stay in the throttle and go over that hill.
People think that 1350 is the absolute "Redline" for our trucks. It isn't. You can get to it, you can go over it for a short period. You don't need to be paranoid about that temp. Now if your touching 1500 back off immediately. :lol:

Really you can hit 1350 for say a two mile hill at 60mph. Two minutes at that temp won't kill anything. *JUST don't pull over and shut the motor down at that temperature!:nono:
If you top the hill at 1350-1400 and start a down hill run, (Or level) and it cools down right away, your fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1250 is not bad. Heck, don't even back off if that is as high as it's getting. Stay in the throttle and go over that hill.
People think that 1350 is the absolute "Redline" for our trucks. It isn't. You can get to it, you can go over it for a short period. You don't need to be paranoid about that temp. Now if your touching 1500 back off immediately. :lol:

Really you can hit 1350 for say a two mile hill at 60mph. Two minutes at that temp won't kill anything. *JUST don't pull over and shut the motor down at that temperature!:nono:
If you top the hill at 1350-1400 and start a down hill run, (Or level) and it cools down right away, your fine.

Just be sure that your probe is pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold.....I don't think you want to see these temps post turbo....:nono::nono:

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Just be sure that your probe is pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold.....I don't think you want to see these temps post turbo....:nono::nono:
Thank you, I forget that SOME people do it the "Wrong way" LOL:lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think most state the 1350 to give a saftey factor. Likely it became the absolute red line from constant regurgitation on the forums.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
For what it is worth my truck has seen 1700+ degrees everyday for over 30k miles. I've hit 2400 on occasion. Real small turbo, real big injectors.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dual Electric Fans Replies Ronchyhiker thanks you

The 5er weights 14k+.The probe is pre turbo.The tunes are 40,60,80 tow,60 80 econ. It is almost impossible to tow in 80 tow.The tunes are about a year old. When I tow in the hills it is in 40tow. One of the "hills" was 11,300ft. I had it in low gear(stupid 4speed auto) and only doing 25mph. Any faster and the temp would go over 1250. It was a long slow climb. I just love those Colorado "hills". I have a large Donaldson air cleaner and a 4in pipe turbo back,straight thru muffler.
Thanks,again:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is no reason you should be seeing high egts especially with all the upgrades you have. You should see lower than a completely stock setup. I would seriously check for a leak in your turbo inter-cooler system. If that checks out good I am thinking its your tunes. I would call Jody or look at trying some other tuner's tunes. Sometimes some other programmer tunes work better for some then others and vise versa.

You should check to see if you did not lay off it would it climb up clean over 1350. If it already has never mind.

I know for sure that a water injection system like that of Coolmist or Snow will take care of the issue but that, given you should not have these issues, is a band aide IMO. I think it would be better first figuring out why you are having high EGTS.

Speaking of tunes. Have you tried this without any tunes? Just running the stock PCM tune? Unplugging the chip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts