The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm hesitant to ask this question because I think I know what I'm going to get...but here you go. How bad of an idea is it to wash a 7.3 engine bay that hasn't been gone over thoroughly first? i.e. wiring harnesses, pigtails, etc. Engine is in relatively perfect condition, no leaks, no codes, runs great, etc. It's just dirty. Is there any component of the engine I should completely avoid? I'm mostly worried about the electrical system.

Desert dust is starting to build up and I want to head this off sooner rather than later.

JARED

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok, I'm hesitant to ask this question because I think I know what I'm going to get...but here you go. How bad of an idea is it to wash a 7.3 engine bay that hasn't been gone over thoroughly first? i.e. wiring harnesses, pigtails, etc. Engine is in relatively perfect condition, no leaks, no codes, runs great, etc. It's just dirty. Is there any component of the engine I should completely avoid? I'm mostly worried about the electrical system.

Desert dust is starting to build up and I want to head this off sooner rather than later.

JARED

I would cover alternator and the fuse boxes on the drivers along with your air filter and just try and keep from spraying electrical connections directly I would just use garden hose pressure not a pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would cover alternator and the fuse boxes on the drivers along with your air filter and just try and keep from spraying electrical connections directly I would just use garden hose pressure not a pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the tips. I've washed other engine bays plenty before. I worry about my 7.3 after hearing enough instances of folks discovering water/moisture in an electrical connection that runs thinks afoul.

Jared

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Dust is an issue in CO also. As long as its dry dust then I occasionally use compressed air.

Even if you have to wash areas where the dust is caked with oil/diesel, blowing off the dry dust first cuts down alot on the risk of saturating things you don’t to.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I simple green it first cold let sit a bit then hose off let set a little then fire up and let get to temp never had a problem done this many times

·
Registered
351 Posts
Now and again I’ll get to spraying it down with some purple power then putting a gentle stream on the engine bay. Don’t sit there and dig a hard steam of water into your connections and whatnot and you should be ok. Otherwise a higher volume with low pressure to rinse the crud off of everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts