The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, looks like I am replacing the HPOP, had it out once and had everything removed from the rear-Turbo and all. It was nearly impossible to get to the fuel bowl fittings and the HPOP line fittings. It seems it would be easier to remove the HPOP reservoir, then re-install fuel bowl fittings first before putting the reservoir back in. Is this reasonable?

·
Registered
2001 Ford F-350 4x4 Auto CC LB 7.3 3.73 axles 4” exhaust
57 Posts
So you have dead headed the pump and according to the pressure gauge you have less than 500 pounds? You are sure it’s not leaking out of the fuel injector orings or top lines. You do have 15quarts of oil in it? Tell us more about van how many miles on it and the year?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing the pump. Threads bad on pump after replacing the quick connect fittings with regular fittings. 200K miles, Ex-ambulance, who knows how many run hours. Not putting in helicoils. Confirmed the bad fitting leak. Just wanted to know if this way is easier access...already have the reservoir off & it was easy taking out the fuel bowl, just surprised I have not seen this recommended before.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@AJWarr , sorry to hear of your bad luck, I have heard of stripping out fuel bowl and HPOP. I don’t know the torque specs on these items, but don’t get carried away on torque. I don’t have a Van, so do as much assembly has you can on fuel bowl. Take a look at DieselTechRon on the tube, he might have a video you can learn from, although I have not seen him work on a van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already rebuilt the fuel bowl. The Vans are configured slightly different, and access is very different. It has been difficult finding info on the 2003 E-450 in particular. Putting in a HPOP with steel threads and modified for higher flow if I ever decide to upgrade the injectors. The bad threads and age of the unit had me debating the replacement when I had it out in the first place....duh. Just wondered if anyone had done this without going through the Doghouse-it sure seems like the way to go, we'll see..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Already rebuilt the fuel bowl. The Vans are configured slightly different, and access is very different. It has been difficult finding info on the 2003 E-450 in particular. Putting in a HPOP with steel threads and modified for higher flow if I ever decide to upgrade the injectors. The bad threads and age of the unit had me debating the replacement when I had it out in the first place....duh. Just wondered if anyone had done this without going through the Doghouse-it sure seems like the way to go, we'll see..
AJ, With a Van anyway easiest to access is the answer. Remember to be careful after installing pump, great pressure coming out of Pump, keep your hands and body out of there. The fix for being injected by accident is amputation. I think you said you went with another style of connectors on back side of pump, other than the factory quick connectors. Prefill the HPOP pump when you get it in. Probably a couple quarts , not sure. Give your self a couple days, so your not grinding on the starter and abusing it to get it primed with oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts