The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Excursion is 17 yrs old, and it originally came with some Firestone "D" rated tires...
Those didn't last long, as I was doing a lot of traveling and towing with the "X"...
Back then, I switched to some BF Goodrich Long Trail "D" rated tires, and they didn't last long at all. ....25,000/mi....Finally upgraded to Michelin "E" rated tires, and they seemed to have worked VERY good, for wear and milage, ....while I was doing a lot of towing and traveling...
I have since sold my camper, and don't do all that much traveling or towing any more...
BUT....I need new tires now....
NO BODY will sell me a "D" rated tire for my truck....
It says on the door frame it's rated for a "D" rated tire...
Make NO mistake,,,,the "E" rated Michelins are GREAT tires...
BUT...You pay dearly for them $$$$, and they give you a very HARD RIDE...being that they are a 10 ply rated tire...
Some where back ""WHEN"" there apparently was a recall on the Firestone "D" rated tires,
but that really didn't apply to me back then, because I already had changed them out to BF Goodrich tires....
Yah!!! My truck weighs 8000#, but the "D" rated tires will accommodate that weight...
The Michelin tire will easliy go 60,000 miles or more....I don't drive that many miles per year now...only 5-7000....At that rate the tires will dry rot off the truck....
Only one guy, offered to sell me some "P" metric rated tires...not Light Truck tires, but ''passenger' rated tires....
I'd like to go back to a smoother, softer ride.....but can't seem to find the way going forward here....:frown2:
Here's the story from back then;
http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/whats-behind-firestone-steeltex-recall-ford-excursions

·
Super Moderator
25,191 Posts
Tire guys :icon_rolleyes:

They're afraid you'll load it higher than the D rated tires will carry and sue them if there's a problem.

It's like the tire shop that wouldn't sell 2 tires on a 4x4 for fear of tearing up the transfer case. They assume we don't know any better than to engage 4WD on dry pavement. That shop got my "don't go there" recommendation when anyone asked.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I'd just show them what tires that it came from the factory with and those are what are listed on the door jamb.

If nothing else and you have another vehicle pull them off 2 at a time and take them to the tire shop and have them put the tires that you want on them.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Order what you want online. Pull the rims and take them in to have new tires mounted. remount tires. Good time to look at brakes and other things when the tires are off.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I need new tires now....
NO BODY will sell me a "D" rated tire for my truck.
Yes, SOME BODY will. But since you don't have your location in your profile :icon_rolleyes:, NO BODY can give you a specific recommendation. :shrug03:

·
Registered
821 Posts
True steve83 I know a few that will put what he want on his X. I just order what I want online for all 3 of my trucks and have them put on and it is usualy cheaper.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
The OP says that his Excursion came with load range D tires and that he upgraded them to load range E. There is no reason that any tire shop wouldn't put load range D tires back on it.

All he has to do is to show the tire shop what is listed on the door jamb to settle any arguments. It sounds like just because his existing tires are E's that is what the dealers want to put back onto it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts