The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the cam position sensor on a van. I can barely see it from top or bottom. Do I need to pull the radiator

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
On the 7.3 it sits around the 10 o'clock posistion from the harmonic balancer. As a fyi you need a 6pt 10mm socket to get the bolt out

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well now I have no idea where it is. My van is 1997.6 which usually is more like the 98. I have all the simtomes of a bad CPS.

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
A 7.3 is a 7.3, the CPS's are all in the same spot from 94.5-2003. Van, truck, UPS truck or what ever it is in the same spot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. If it's at the 11oclock position then I don't see an ez way to replace yet everyone is saying 15 minutes

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to replace or clean my bps tube and it's a nightmare on the van not in the same location as the f trucks.

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
I wanted to replace or clean my bps tube and it's a nightmare on the van not in the same location as the f trucks.
It's in the same location on the engine, but harder to access, as is nearly everything on a van. It's just the nature of the beasts. :shrug03:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The back pressure sensor and tube is aft of the hpop on the van . They had to move some things on the van for sure

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
The back pressure sensor and tube is aft of the hpop on the van . They had to move some things on the van for sure
Are you saying it's on the rear of the exhaust manifold or up in the valley behind the HPOP? Seems like a strange place for it in either case.

I still wish someone could tell me how to remove the CPS on the van.
You'll probably need to go in from underneath the front bumper. That's the easiest way on the pickups unless you've got arms the size of pencils with three elbows on each side. Once you're under there, look for the crankshaft pulley and then up and to the passenger side of it. The CPS bracket has a pointer alongside the crank pulley.

·
Premium Member
8,483 Posts
Here's a picture for you. Remember the picture is upside down and backwards

·
Super Moderator
24,888 Posts
Remember the picture is upside down and backwards
Actually it's not. It's looking from below with the RF tire behind and the LF tire at the bottom. Bumper to the right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On my 98 van the BPS and tube on top is aft of the hpop reservoir . I can see the extra bracket on the fwd side which would be used on the trucks. In the picture you can see a paper towel that I used to support a wrench on the bracket to remove the BPS sensor

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try that today going in under the front bumper . If that doesn't work I'll probably have to pull the radiator. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts