The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently purchased a 2000 E350 7.3. 269k miles. Its an ex ambulance with a utility bed. Plans are to build a flatbed to haul my rock buggy. I have never owned a diesel so I don't know what to expect out of the 7.3. It sure seems sluggish. It seems to start and idle fine but sputters at higher rpms. Little bit of white/blueish smoke. Runs better when warmed up. (doesn't seem to get very warm, need only goes about a 1/4 of the way) Has WAY more power when gas pedal is barely mashed vs full. Has no check engine lights. Any suggestions?

What I have done so far:
Replaced fuel filter (it was nasty)
Tightened the up pipe bolts. Still leaks but very little.
Checked fuel pressure at bowl. A constant 60 at idle and driving
Removed both uvch while running. Both effected engine idle, so they are good.
Two shops have tried to check for codes, one scanner killed the engine when it tried to read codes. The other wouldn't communicate with the computer.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Whitish smoke and falling on it's face when you mash the pedal is a pretty good indication that there is a fuel restriction. Most of the 7.3's eventually end up with clogged fuel pickup screens due to Ford's not so great in tank design. The vans are even worse with the steel tanks that delaminate and clog up everything. Google the Hutch Mod, that usually fixes it on the pickups but with your E series you may need a new tank as well.

edit: Just noticed you said 60 PSI of fuel pressure, does that hold under hard accelleration? If so then I could be wrong about fuel delivery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whitish smoke and falling on it's face when you mash the pedal is a pretty good indication that there is a fuel restriction. Most of the 7.3's eventually end up with clogged fuel pickup screens due to Ford's not so great in tank design. The vans are even worse with the steel tanks that delaminate and clog up everything. Google the Hutch Mod, that usually fixes it on the pickups but with your E series you may need a new tank as well.

edit: Just noticed you said 60 PSI of fuel pressure, does that hold under hard accelleration? If so then I could be wrong about fuel delivery.
It doesn't exactly accelerate hard do to sputter and loss of power but it stays at 60 full throttle. When I replaced the fuel filter, there was a bunch of brown gunk at the bottom of the bowl. I got the bowl spotless before I put the new filter. Oil is extremely dirty. In the next couple days I'm going to change the oil and run some diesel injector cleaner. (Can anyone recommend specific type?)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Throw some archoil or hot shots secret oil additives in the oil. Ive heard good things about both. Also try running diesel clean in the tank. If you really want to clean injectors you can throw some transmission fluid in the tank to. How much is up to you i cant remember how much i used last time i did it. If you run the trans fluid you will need another filter.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
With that many miles, I would start using a Synthetic oil blend, these engines just Don't like dirty oil. Delo is a good oil.

From what your saying about the fuel filter with brown gunk, you may just have Algae in the tank. You shouldn't have a steel tank, it should be a 40 gallon plastic tank mounted midship. You don't give your location, but in warm/hot climates it's possible for Algae to grow if the vehicle is set a long time without use. Check your fuel filter again soon, if the filter is covered with gunk you probably have Algae.

ATF in the fuel tank don't do anything cleaning injectors, just helps lubricate components, reduces the sticktion of the injectors. A good shot of Diesel Kleen does a much better job. Double or Triple the amount the 1st time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ATF in the fuel tank don't do anything cleaning injectors, just helps lubricate components, reduces the sticktion of the injectors. A good shot of Diesel Kleen does a much better job. Double or Triple the amount the 1st time.
Ive used transmission fluid before in the tank and it certainly cleaned up my fuel system. Its a solvent as well as a lubricant. Any solvent being pushed through injectors has to do some sort of "cleaning" how much i have no idea all i know is it cleaned everything up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Got a fresh oil change. The old oil was disgusting. After that I drove to the autoparts store and got some Diesel Kleen. I didn't have a whole lot of time to drive around but I put around 5 miles on it. It seems to have helped a bit but still sputters at a high rpm and loss of power. Smoke turn from white (when cold) to a greyish black (when warm) New up pipes should be here in a couple of days. I`ll give an update when I get them on.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Two shops tried to read for any codes. Neither scan tools would communicate to read codes.

You're gonna want to get that figured out, you will need to access that PCM for a host of information. Codes are one thing but live data is indispensable for trouble shooting, and it's so easy and cheap to monitor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
Got the new up pipes on. No leaks. However, I did notice the ebpv was stuck open. From what I have read, this should not be a concern? I looked at the HPOP oil. Its VERY black. Even after the recent oil change. Could fresh HPOP oil get the injectors firing better? I unplugged the EBPV sensor and the ICP, drove it around with no changes. Also checked the fuse that powers the cigarette lighter and OBD2 port. Its good, so I'm still unsure why scanners cannot hook up to it. What should I try next? Removing the IPR to see if it runs any better?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a diesel shop close by. Auto repair,truck repair,powerstroke diesel ,brakes,tires They really seemed helpful about diagnosing the issue vs throwing **** against the wall to see if it sticks. The scanner showed no codes. He is one 95% its injector related. They have a new injector tester coming in that will not only do a buzz test but shut down each individual injector one at a time to figure out which one is bad. (Hopefully just one) I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts