Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it.....Dana 70?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I want to install lockers. The front is a Dana 60 and I'm thinking about going with OX http://www.ox-usa.com/

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Don't take anybody's word on it, it's not worth the trouble if you get the wrong answer. Dana model numbers are cast on the center housing, usually on the passenger front side.

Since the pickup trucks used Sterling axles after 85? there is often confusion since the vans used a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Unless the axle has changed since 1994, the E350 uses a full float (has a large bearing hub) and the E250 uses a semi-float (just a flange, no hub).

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
FYI; my 2002 E350 gasser is a semi float & the 99 E350 psd is a full float.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Well that's peculiar. With my vans the only real difference between the 250 and 350SRW was the rear axle. Looks like they have gone the "SuperDuty" route and made the difference the door sticker.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The E350 vans stopped recieving the FF D60 in the spring of 2001. It was a mid model year change. So some 2001 350s have a FF and some have a SF D60 (semi float). The rear springs are different between the 250 and the 350. I believe the frame section height is also different.

·
Registered
880 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The E350 vans stopped recieving the FF D60 in the spring of 2001. It was a mid model year change. So some 2001 350s have a FF and some have a SF D60 (semi float). The rear springs are different between the 250 and the 350. I believe the frame section height is also different.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Extended pasenger vans kept the full floater thu 2002, then got them again in '05. Not sure about the newer ones. My van has the full floater.

I learned something very strange when I re-geard my axle. My axle houseing is DANA 70, and is even stamped as so. But, my shop ran the axle ID code, and it has the Dana 60 carrier. I was skeptical, but the Dana 60 ring and pinion fit right in.

As far as frames go... The E250 shares the same frame as the E350 regular. The Extended E350 shares the frame with the E350 and E450 cutaway.

·
Registered
678 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I learned something very strange when I re-geard my axle. My axle houseing is DANA 70, and is even stamped as so. But, my shop ran the axle ID code, and it has the Dana 60 carrier. I was skeptical, but the Dana 60 ring and pinion fit right in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean the carrier for the Dana 70 will drop into the housing? I have the FF Dana60 on my '01 and the housing is stamped as a 70 model.
Colin

·
Registered
880 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Does this mean the carrier for the Dana 70 will drop into the housing? I have the FF Dana60 on my '01 and the housing is stamped as a 70 model.
Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, yes. I did not do that because of the extra cost, and mine was doing just fine, even at 175,000 miles, and lots of heavy towing. I used the arrowcraft adapters for my dually conversion, and I do run right up at the 7800# axle rating so it's passed the endurance test in my book.

The shop did say that the ABS/speed sensor would have to be relocated because the ABS ring is in a different location. That of course would require drilling a new threaded hole. They also said they could try welding the ABS ring to teh proper location for the current sensor, but that can involve a bit of trial and error. They didn't say it, but I suspect a new cover may be needed too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well....I ordered two lockers from OX today. I'll let you know how they work out.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As far as frames go... The E250 shares the same frame as the E350 regular. The Extended E350 shares the frame with the E350 and E450 cutaway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The factory reference manual I have says otherwise. The E250 frame is 6.16" tall with a 0.181 material thickness. E350 is 7.69" tall with a 0.212" material thickness. E-350/E450 cutaway/stripped chassis has a 0.228 material thickness And the E450SD cutaway has a still thicker (0.248") wall.

While that data is from a 2004 dealer reference manual, I doubt the 250/350 ever shared a common frame.

Mike

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Full float has a long "hub" on the outside which contains a pair of tapered roller bearings. All the weight is held by these bearings and no weight is carried by the axle shafts and carrier. The axle shafts can be unbolted and removed with the weight on the truck.

Semi float has no hub, the end of the axle shaft only has a flat flange with a short pilot for the wheel. There is a single bearing towards the outside of the axle housing. The other side of the axle shaft (and weight of the truck) is carried by the carrier assembly bearings.

Full float is the stronger and safer (and more expensive) way to build an axle.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
In a semi-floating axle, the axle shafts carry the weight of the vehicle. A full floating axle has a hub with 2 bearings that carries the weight, the axle shaft only supplies the torque to turn the wheels.

If you break an axle with a full floater, you could still drive out in 4wd or 2wd with a locking differential. With a semi-floater you are stuck - the wheel and axle stub may come right out!

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts