The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are econoline 250 parts compatible with E350? I have an 2006 e250 and want to swap the drive shaft from the 250 to my e350 is that possible?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, odd that no one replied. We can't tell you without knowing whether the engines and transmissions are the same. If so, the next question would be are the wheelbase lengths the same - that determines the length of the driveshaft required.

Another possible issue, but more likely on the larger E450 - is whether you have a driveshaft braking system. Two of my 450s have them, one is a round drum that attaches to the rear of the transmission. I think it's a parking brake. My other one has a high-dollar Temla system that mounts to the frame between the tranny and rear differential. It actually brakes the truck while driving. The Temla attaches directly to the rear shaft - when I swapped in a different trans, I had to remove the rear shaft extension housing off of it, then it worked fine.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'd start by checking to see if they both have the same engine and transmission. Then I would measure both driveshafts to see if they are the same length. If all that checks out, then I would say that it might be a possibility.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Hmm, odd that no one replied. We can't tell you without knowing whether the engines and transmissions are the same. If so, the next question would be are the wheelbase lengths the same - that determines the length of the driveshaft required.
Of course the wheelbase are the same. There is only one wheelbase for all Econolines that are not cutaways. They are all 138 inches, extended body or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, this is another OP who didn't specify which type of 350 van s/he has or its year, although I'm not sure that matters. As Mark says, the 138" wheelbase is the most common, and the only length available on the 150/250 and SRW 350, but the 2006 E350 DRW does come in longer versions, either 158" or 176". Here's a link to the specs: 2006 Ford E-Series Specifications - Ford-Trucks.com.

I knew it had to because I've seen E350 shuttle buses that were almost as long as my 450.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Well, this is another OP who didn't specify which type of 350 van s/he has or its year, although I'm not sure that matters. As Mark says, the 138" wheelbase is the most common, and the only length available on the 150/250 and SRW 350, but the 2006 E350 DRW does come in longer versions, either 158" or 176". Here's a link to the specs: 2006 Ford E-Series Specifications - Ford-Trucks.com.

I knew it had to because I've seen E350 shuttle buses that were almost as long as my 450.
Based upon what you are saying, I appears that my suggestion that she measures the drive shafts to see if they are the same length might be a good idea afterall, especially if the E350 is DRW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Absolutely. I was kinda saying the same thing by telling them to compare the wheelbases, and to confirm there's not something about the driveshaft itself, like a Temla system or parking brake, that changes its length or suitability.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would say it's a pretty damn safe bet that they're the same. If they're the same wheelbase and axles and everything the differences are negligible. It's likely only the springs and the sticker in the door that differ between the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts