The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E40D issues, maybe someone else has had this issue in here?

So, I have a bit of an odd issue with my transmission.
It seems to operate normally for a few miles, then I will only have third gear. I can manually shift it into second, but if I put it into first... I still only have second. I also don’t have fourth gear when it starts acting up. So when I take off from a stop, i need to have it in second gear, and when I get up to speed, I manually shift it into overdrive to go into third. Come to the next light, I manually shift it back down into second.
I drive it the next morning, once again it works perfectly fine for a few miles, then I lose first and fourth.
Any ideas what might be causing it? The fluid isn’t burnt, or dark.
It is a “new” rebuilt transmission, it started acting up about 1500 miles after install.
Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,851 Posts
Read the codes. These symptoms should set codes.

It would also help to know what truck you have. Year, model, engine.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll try to pull the codes in the morning. I never got the flashing Over Drive light on the shifter ( the light does work, it comes on if I press the button), so I didn’t know if it would throw any codes or not.
I emailed the rebuilder, never got a response.
The truck is a 1993 F-150 5.0 4x4 XLT. I know, not a diesel, but you guys seem to have the best grasp on E40D issues I’ve seen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez, I’m glad you told me to check the codes Mark.
624 electronic pressure control solenoid circuit fault
626 coast clutch solenoid fault
629 converter clutch solenoid circuit fault
637 transmission oil temp circuit fault

So... is the solenoid pack shot, or did something catastrophic occur with the mechanicals?
Or something else?

·
Super Moderator
11,851 Posts
Neither. Either you coincidentally had multiple solenoid failures at the same time, or something damaged your wiring harness. I'll bet the harness is the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: checked fuses and harness, all seems well, no melted, burned or brittle sections. Rebuilder got back to me finally, they feel the solenoid pack circuit went bad, so they are sending me out a new one, along with a filter and gasket for the pan.
I’ll update again after I get the new pack installed, and see how the transmission is working.
Thanks for the troubleshooting advice Mark, and thank you Steve for some engine advice you had given in someone else’s thread years ago that helped me out with my truck lol

·
Super Moderator
11,851 Posts
Update: checked fuses and harness, all seems well, no melted, burned or brittle sections.
So you're saying you haven't diagnosed the harness at all?

Looking at the harness is a waste of time unless you take each wire out of the harness and strip off all of the insulation. Or you could use a meter and measure the problem circuits for continuity, short to ground, and short to power. Anything less than one of those two choices and you're just pretending that you diagnosed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I pulled the harness off the truck, and checked the continuity of each wire. All check out.
The solenoid pack is brand new, rebuild center sent it to me, might as well use it. No debris on the magnet when I pulled the pan.
I did replace the relays just for the hell of it while I was under the hood as well.
I’m guess at this point just continue checking electrical up to the PCM?

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Here's what I find for solenoid resistances (see attached from 1996 Service Manual which is the connector side, you'll want trans side which should be mirror image for pins):
Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Solenoid: Pin 1 to Pin 4, 20-30 ohms
Coast Clutch Solenoid: Pin 1 to Pin 5, 20-30 ohms
#1 Shift Solenoid: Pin 1 to Pin 3, 20-30 ohms
#2 Shift Solenoid: Pin 1 to Pin 2, 20-30 ohms
Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid: Pin 12 to Pin 11, 3.0 to 5.0 ohms

Cheers!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts