The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a flatbed for my 96 powerstroke. I have led lights in it. I saw a thread a while ago about this but can't find it again. Once I hooked up the led's, the trans cruises in 4th and under throttle kicks into o.d. then back down to 4th. Back and forth. Anyone have any ideas? All the connections are tight and nothing is shorting out. No brake lights on.

·
Super Moderator
11,783 Posts
That's impossible. Fourth gear IS overdrive.

Your problem is the torque converter is unlocking and relocking. I don't understand the circuitry, but I know that LED brake lights will cause the PCM to think that the brakes are always on. That will keep the torque converter unlocked until you have the go pedal at a higher opening. I don't know how to fix this other than putting real bulbs back in. That would be a good test to see if the LEDs are the problem.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can fool electronics to thinking there are normal resistance lights. My 2013 Escape has trailer sway control with light monitoring. Because of the LED's, the system thinks the lights are burned out and always shows light fault. I originally tried resistors between the + and - wires but it would generate to much heat and burn up. So is just wired in a set of 12VDC relays to the coil side only on the + and - side. The LED's work perfectly and the resistance is correct for the light fault system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for correcting me on the 4th and over drive lol duh is ill I can say. Thanks for the tips and ideas to Fix the problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamesrxx951: do you have a schematic or pictures of what you've done?

·
Registered
879 Posts
No I don't but you have a power wire that is for the brake lights for each side of the vehicle. There are two power points for each light, running lights and brake lights. You need the brake light circuit. Then there is a ground wire. You will need to splice off of both the brake light circuit and the ground circuit and install some sort of connector. I had some 12VDC relays laying around that are used in Ford vehicles. If you look at the wiring diagram on the relay it will tell you what pins are used for the coil circuits (primary) on the relay. Just connect your two take off circuits from the lights to the coil circuits on the relay. I want to figure out a solid state way of doing this but so far im out of luck. Need some better electronics schooling to figure out that I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that just helped me tremendously. My buddy is my go to for wiring so with your description he'll get it done! Thanks a bunch, mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I don't but you have a power wire that is for the brake lights for each side of the vehicle. There are two power points for each light, running lights and brake lights. You need the brake light circuit. Then there is a ground wire. You will need to splice off of both the brake light circuit and the ground circuit and install some sort of connector. I had some 12VDC relays laying around that are used in Ford vehicles. If you look at the wiring diagram on the relay it will tell you what pins are used for the coil circuits (primary) on the relay. Just connect your two take off circuits from the lights to the coil circuits on the relay. I want to figure out a solid state way of doing this but so far im out of luck. Need some better electronics schooling to figure out that I guess.
Solid State would be great!!!
But I think you would have the same problem that you had with the LED lights. The Solid State would have a small, insignificant, amount of draw when not on and not enough to draw for the transmission to recognize it when it is on.
That is why the relays work, they provide enough draw when they are on, and no draw when off. The relays use a magnetic coils that is similar to a lighting coil, similar resistance and design but different thickness and material.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This thread is 6 years old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed!
The transmission it is discussing is 24 years old.
The transmission I was looking at this for is 28 years old.
But this is all still relevant because I still own a 28 year old truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts