The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the column shift on my truck has finally completely broken.

ever time i need to put the truck into any gear i have to get under the truck and put it into gear with the truck on, its horrible!!!

my question is has any body installed a aftermarket floor shift in there truck or does anyone know who makes one for our trucks?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Look into Lokar's stuff. The guys who use Lokar shifters in their wheeling rigs swear by them

·
Registered
169 Posts
do you want a gate shifter system like my desert car has i'll post a pic tomorrow

·
Registered
256 Posts
Would it not be easier to just get a column from a wrecking yard. Seems like it wold be both cheaper and quicker.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I don't think I'm going to find a good one in the junk yards, every time i see one of these trucks in the yards(Gas engines) they are completely striped within a few days and I'm pretty sure its going to be a real pain in my rear to reinstall the factory type column shift.

I did take the truck to a shop in town here and they said I'm looking at $400-$600 bucks to have it repaired.... No thanks!

I did talk to a person at Lokar (thanks CAP) about one for a E4OD and they told me that any C4 floor shifter should work with the truck I just have to put a switch on the O/D off button.(i have just been touching the two wires together for now)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would replace the complete column and not try to fix the broke one. I did a very quick search on Ebay and something like 8 or 9 used columns came up. Bids went from $10 - $150. You can likely find them on Craig's list to.

Looking at the pictures of the columns, It does not look any more difficult to change then a Chevy column and those are about a two hour job including beer breaks.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Did you check under the dash to make sure the 2 screws didn't come completely out that hold the shifter there?
There's 2 torx screws that back out. Mine shifted like crap till someone told me about them. Took 1 minute and shifts like new...
Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
This would be perfect for some one switching from a 5spd to auto huh? I wouldn't need the different steering column ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts