The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
need help diagnosing a 1993 F-250 with 140k miles, it was rebuilt once before, my friend said when he was driving, he accelerated to make a turn then heard a loud bang from under the truck and that was it. Truck wont move in any gear, either direction. ATF level is fine, red and clear, no odor.
Truck has 4X4, is it possible something went wrong in the transfercase? how would you start troubleshooting?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
To troubleshoot, see if the truck rolls more than a foot or so when in park. If it does, your problem is in the transfer case. If it holds, the problem is in the transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well based on that test its not the TC. It doesnt move more than a few inches when I put it in park (on a hill).
I did notice I cant move the TC shifter out of 2H, just doesnt budge at all.
I'll try disconnecting the linkage and freeing it up or shifting manually on the TC itself. Anything else i should try?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,019 Posts
The next step in troubleshooting is to pull the trans out, tear it down, and see what broke.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Will it roll if you put it in neutral? Whatever isn't letting you get it out of 2 high might be what broke, and what is preventing it from moving at all.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
As Mark said: Yank out the transmission and see what broke.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The transmission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rebuild questions

with so many other projects I might just get this rebuilt then do the swap later down the road.
A friend of my fathers is a transmission tech with over 30 years with his hands in slush boxes so hes going to do the rebuild. Did some searching on here trying to figure out what to upgrade during the rebuild to make the trans more reliable and a better match for the banks sidewinder thats installed.

1. The PO said the trans was originally rebuilt at 80K miles and they then 'upgraded the solenoid pack. How do I check for that and know whether or not to upgrade it?
2. What TC should I get - 1600 Stall TC? Truck is used for local driving, not hauling heavy loads or taking a beating. It does have a Sidewinder kit on it.
3. Steel six pin reverse and forward planet carrier?
4. For the low reverse frictions, should I add frictions and steels to get the .20"-.40" or just leave it stock and get a Shift kit?
5. What needs to be done to the center support? I heard there is an upgrade from the bronze bushing but couldnt find more info
6. Is a F5 pump a good upgrade (assuming it has a E9) or is the F8 the way to go? Any price difference?
7. Planning on replacing the trans cooler with a larger unit, any suggestions?
8. Wheres the best place to get this stuff? I would like to get the parts so I can just drop the trans and parts with him, he can order the regular seals/filter..etc and be good to go.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be thorough and document the process so it can help someone in the future in the same tight spot.

Thank you all for helping me get on the road!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I would suggest you let the transmission mechanic make the recommendations based on what you are trying to do with it. If he's really any good, he'll know what is needed, and what is a waste of money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trans guy has alot of experience with these but only a small percentage have been diesel . with so many knowledgeable members on here it only makes sense to ask...

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
A friend of my fathers is a transmission tech with over 30 years with his hands in slush boxes so hes going to do the rebuild.
AS oldrebuiltdodge said let the mechanic/tech do it, don't micro manage an expert.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts