The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 F-250 with the 7.3L and when you put it into reverse the truck will sometimes stall unless you give it some throttle even then it still will stall sometimes it also dies in manual 1st gear. The truck shifts hard and downshifts very hard as well. Tried pulling the pan to check the filter and everything seems okay in there. The fluid level is good and still red not burnt smelling at all. If you floor it while driving the engine limits itself at around 2500 RPMs and it stutters like it is defueling itself. It still has all the power there it should it just acts up. The O/D light is blinking. If you unplug the gear selector it changes the RPMs as well. Any ideas and how to test them would be greatly appreciated as we have tried scanning it and no codes show up and if you try to scan with the truck running the truck just shuts off.

· Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
You need a better tool to read the codes. The one you have is not capable of reading them. I recommend Forscan. You can get it at www.forscan.org. Or you could take it to a Ford dealer or a good independent shop.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a better tool to read the codes. The one you have is not capable of reading them. I recommend Forscan. You can get it at www.forscan.org. Or you could take it to a Ford dealer or a good independent shop.
is there any way to get them without that? as I am unable to get my scanner from work to where the truck is and i can't get the truck to the shop

· Registered
398 Posts
What Mark is saying is you can get a ELM scanner from Ebay or Amazon that plugs into your OBD II port for like 25 bucks, down load Forescan to your phone from Google or wherever and you can read a lot of cool things on the Powerstroke , you can also download Torqpro and read the rest of your vehicles if any besides Ford as well.
Others will give you the best and latest ELM's, I do not like the two I have

· Registered
2,549 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.