The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days ago i was going to go camping and before i left i drove it to drop off our pets at a family members house and my truck just stalled. got it started again but check engine light was on and it was running really rough. i was doing a demo on a Matco scanner so i plugged it in and got a IDM code cant remember exact number but i was able to barely limp the truck home slowly, very slowly, rough idle and rough running like it was only on 4 cyls. when we got back from camping 3 days later i started it up to see if it still missed or had check engine and it ran beautifully. so i took it for a test drive and after i drove it for about 30 mins it came back. limped it home again and same thing the next morning. runs at idle great again and no light. i didnt get a chance to test run it but im guessing ill get same results. my buddy from work told me to look at my valve cover gaskets and maybe the IDM was junk but check gaskets and connections first. any ideas guys please help me i planned on selling it in 2 months after my wedding for a 4 door so i dont want to dump a whole lot into it.

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
Common issue.

Your scan tool probably popped up a P1316 code, which just means you need to do an on-demand test like an injector buzz test. That will make the IDM spit out the codes for the particular problem.

But the most common thing is the Under Valve Cover Harness (UVCH) that powers the injectors and glow plugs has come unlatched and as the engine heats up, the expansion of the plastic opens up the circuit connections. As things cool down, they may remake the circuit, and it runs normally. Replacement UVCH's are about $25 and the new ones come with an improved latch to hold them in place. Apparently they're all made in China now, even the International or Ford ones, so get a Dorman one or order thru RockAuto.

You can probably replace both in 1/2 day, even if you've never had a valve cover off your truck.

I'd just about bet the farm that's our problem.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome help got home last night and popped the cover off and yes the inside plug was unhooking. did the quarter trick locked it in and drove great so far. thank you so much

1 - 3 of 3 Posts