The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so it's been a while since I've posed anything but I had a thought the other day that I want to run by you. I have some spare parts kicking around the garage and was wondering if I took the compressor housing off of a 99.5 turbo could I put it on my e99 turbo? Mind you I have extra intake manifolds and intake spider. Just looking for a cheap upgrade to the old girl. Otherwise it's off to getting a D66

·
Registered
355 Posts
PM me if you dont use the e99 turbo spyder and boots

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It might Interchange but why swap it? The late 99 compressor housing isn't any better than the e99 one.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey guys so it's been a while since I've posed anything but I had a thought the other day that I want to run by you. I have some spare parts kicking around the garage and was wondering if I took the compressor housing off of a 99.5 turbo could I put it on my e99 turbo? Mind you I have extra intake manifolds and intake spider. Just looking for a cheap upgrade to the old girl. Otherwise it's off to getting a D66
Count the bolts, it won't fit.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I assumed he meant backing plate and cover. But if he means just the cover your right.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I do mean backing plate and cover. I have a 38r housing and backing plate and was just wondering if there would be clearance issues seeing as how the 99.5 turbo has a taller pedistal

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I'm not sure I don't think anyone has tried this before. I think the main issue might be trying to get the Intake tubes to line up with the brackets. Maybe even the intake manifold too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
::UPDATE:: ok so for all of those who might happen to have these parts just laying around like I do you can put the 38r housing on the E99 cartridge and it will fit ok..... However fitment is not so easy in the engine bay. If you have a regulated return and or HPX oil line this combo will not work. Due to the fact that the pedistal is lower aligning the intake spider to the manifolds is also an issue the intake spider is pushed more towards the front of the motor and down a little further. This puts unnecessary strain on the plenum boots which will inevitably cause a failure point. But it will all fit together under the hood. It is worth noting that because of the larger housing you really do need the extra room that is given by the correct setup. So in conclusion for me at least I will be dropping in a d66 with a custom made intake spider to accommodate the larger intake plenums. This truck is my old workhorse and has never failed me. But cutting corners is a great way to make that happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts