The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks tbpower i did not know that and maybe it won't change anything if it has more memory than the early 99 ecm

·
Registered
118 Posts
I changed the pcm in my early 99 today. The truck seems to accelerate better and the shift points changed. The guys at DP Tuners said they could flash my old pcm to match a pmt pcm, but couldn't make the cruise light work. I wanted the cruise light so I installed a 01 PMT1 1C3F-ZB pcm, but my I didn't get the cruise light, check the bulb that's good so I suppose I wasted $100.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I changed the pcm in my early 99 today. The truck seems to accelerate better and the shift points changed. The guys at DP Tuners said they could flash my old pcm to match a pmt pcm, but couldn't make the cruise light work. I wanted the cruise light so I installed a 01 PMT1 1C3F-ZB pcm, but my I didn't get the cruise light, check the bulb that's good so I suppose I wasted $100.

I wouldn't say you wasted $100. If it shifts better and runs better that's worth it. If the light works its a bonus. I think it depends on your build date if the light works. Mine was built 10/98 and works perfectly. I haven't checked it with my DP chip, but it works in stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Changed to a PMT3 in my E99, no cruise light either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bennetbr,

What pmt # did you install, I probably shouldn't ask cause I'll be chasing that # pcm next. I said wasted because I was going to buy the tunes from Jody and really only wanted the pcm for the light. The new tunes would have over written the factory programming anyway, so in the end it was all about the light for me. My build date is 9/98 I wonder why some work and some don't? I took the instrument panel out hoping the light was missing or bad , but that wasn't the case. Maybe the PSD gremlins will turn it in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
so i want to swap my ecm witch one is best to use pmt 1, pmt2 or the pmt3? and will my edge still work with this ecm. thanks ralph

·
Registered
124 Posts
newb question. Basically you just bought an ecm from a newer model and switched them. I too have an early 99 it's a 350 srw. Would there be issues that could arise from buying an ecm from say a 2003 f250 and swapping them?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I installed this PCM.

2001 F-Series 7.3L DI TC VRAA7S6 1C3F-ZD 1F719S0A11 DPC-422 216 5A0A PMT3

Early 99 are like the mutants of the Superduty series. Each one seems to be a little different. Strange the CC light works on mine which is a 10/98 build. Mine also has the emblems on the doors like a later one.

To answer another question. No a 2003 PCM won't work in the truck. I believe only 2001 and older. Not sure which one works better PMT1 thru PMT3. From my research anything in the PMT series will work fine, they are a little different in the shifting and many people seem to have a different opinion about each of them. If you get a DP Tuner chip it won't matter anyways. The chip will override the PCM. Jody uses the DPC-422 and anything in that family will work.

I just bought a DP Tuner Chip with 80E, 60T, and Decel programs and I couldn't be happier. I still use the stock setting around town since the pedal is a little touchy on 80E, but on the highway the 80E hauls a****.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Bennet,

I was snooping around the net looking for info on the pcm and got a list of interchangable pcms it lists your as having higher clutch pressure over a pmt1. after your tunes it won't matter anyway, just thought it was interesting side note. The issue with the cruise light makes me wonder if it's the truck wiring or the pmt model. Why did you go with the 60t tune, do you tow heavy? James recommended 60t for me also, but I don't tow anything heavy, Maybe 6k, leaning toward the 80t.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I tow a 9k fifth wheel. That's why I went with the 60T. I haven't towed yet, so I can't comment on the performance increase over stock. Empty there's much more power than stock, so I assume it will work great towing.

Sorry to hear your cruise control light doesn't work. Strange how just a few months makes a difference with the early 99's.

Hey Bennet,

I was snooping around the net looking for info on the pcm and got a list of interchangable pcms it lists your as having higher clutch pressure over a pmt1. after your tunes it won't matter anyway, just thought it was interesting side note. The issue with the cruise light makes me wonder if it's the truck wiring or the pmt model. Why did you go with the 60t tune, do you tow heavy? James recommended 60t for me also, but I don't tow anything heavy, Maybe 6k, leaning toward the 80t.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can anybody tell me if an 2wd ecm will work on a 4x4? I want to swap my early 99 for an 01 and found one for a 2wd just wanted to make sure it will work before i lay out the cash. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same question on interchange

I'm wondering the same thing as 2fastc. Will a 2000 2WD ECM work on an early 99 4x4? Both automatic trannys.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Need to know the part #'s of both PCM's before you can answer that question.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks pretty old thread but I'll take a chance

My early 99 7.3 f350 DRW just died. Gauges quit working and she quit.
Dealer said it is the ECM and he's having trouble finding one.

Sounds like from the above posts I can try to find an 01 and replace the old one.

Can it be that simple?

Thanks
Charles

·
Registered
1 Posts
whos jody? is this a shop . does changing settings mess with troble shoting. i have a 4 place button 1/4 2 is tow but wont shift to overdrive till 55 .

·
Super Moderator
25,015 Posts
whos jody? is this a shop . does changing settings mess with troble shoting. i have a 4 place button 1/4 2 is tow but wont shift to overdrive till 55 .
Jody is the owner of DP Tuner. https://www.dp-tuner.com/
He can probably help with your issues.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts