The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i changed the serp belt about 6 months ago and its already frayed on the edges and now I hear one of the pulleys on the right side, I'm assuming its the PS pulley.. but how do I go about finding out which one it is?

thanks..
-patch

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take your belt off and turn them buy hand and see how they feel.

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
Every time an edge on my belts starts shredding (especially the inner edge), it's been the tensioner. I'm on tensioner #3 on the 1994 (250k miles) and just replaced the original on the 1997 (150k miles). They don't even look out of alignment, but the tensioner pulley get awful close to the tensioner bolt on stock units, sometimes even rubbing it. The Goodyear tensioners I've got on there now have a longer tensioner arm than the stockers. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you can get a straight edge across the pulleys, check the alignment with that. If everything looks good there, check and make sure you fan clutch is operating properly. If the clutch is loose or starting to lock up "fail" this may be causing the water pump pulley to squeal on start up and shut down.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Just another possibility..............

I had accepted the fact that I ate a belt every year. I finally found that the PS pully was not in allignment with the WP pully. After looking at it like a monkey doing a math problem and figuring there was no way to fix it, I decided to shim the PS pump (just put a washer behind one of the bolts) a little to get everything back in line.

It has worked great so far (3 years now).

When I finally saw it I coujld not believe I didn't notice it before. If you sight down the belt from the pass side you might see the belt riding up the back of the WP pully while it is running. It will do it every 5 seconds or so for just a moment.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Every time an edge on my belts starts shredding (especially the inner edge), it's been the tensioner. I'm on tensioner #3 on the 1994 (250k miles) and just replaced the original on the 1997 (150k miles). They don't even look out of alignment, but the tensioner pulley get awful close to the tensioner bolt on stock units, sometimes even rubbing it. The Goodyear tensioners I've got on there now have a longer tensioner arm than the stockers. Cheers!
X2 what Patrick said, my belt tensioner was the culprit. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just changed the tensioner with the belt like 6 months back... And now the noise is comin from the PS or vac-pump pulley... Can those be replaced??

No straight edge.. so dont think thats gonna work.. some of dem pulleys seem old.. So it its possible to change em out, I'm thinkin of doin it Either way..
But mark.. How exactly do I tell if it needs a shim?? Its hard to tell if the belt moves cause its frayed and lost some of the lines..

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Put a new belt on, and see what is going on.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
if it 's a Gates belt, that is your noise! if you are changing belts go to goodyear.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay thanks guys.. Will try a new belt and see what happens who sells goodyear belts??

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So pulled the belt off, And the PS pulley has a little bit of movement, and that is the one I thought was making noise the shaft seems to pull in and out a bit... Can I replace that pulley/shaft?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
don't get too excited about the PS pulley. wait for more replies, but mine moves in and out almost 3/16 of an inch. it has a key way sort of arrangement and self centers, i believe this is normal. i have no issues with mine. other culprits are the tensioner and the idlers and the vac pump pulley.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting.. Well I will see if any one else has any thing to say but did yours turn freely and with no sound? ..

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
i have never spun it with no belt on it, i don't think it would spin freely, has to turn the pump?

i see you have a couple other trucks to compare the play in the pully on/with

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
yeah, It doesnt turn freely due to the pump, But mine seems to make this sort of clicking sound like maybe its missing a bearing or something..? but it might be normal..

edit, yes.. Haha The 94 has the IDI and the 97 is in california, I'm in Hawaii, So that kind of sucks..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when every one is talking about the tensioner are you talking about the whole unit? or just the pulley.. I got just the pulley from napa, But dont want to change it if its the whole unit That i should be changing?

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
The whole unit has always been the case for me. The Goodyear tensioner unit I just bought from Kragen was $60. If the unit has never been off, have a good quality #50 Torx bit! Cheers!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I Didnt put the new pulley on, And put the new belt back on, Every thing runs pretty smooth except the powersteering pulley.. it makes more noise than I remember and it seems maybe one of the bearings is going out?
Is it changeable? or do you need to replace the whole P/S pump/assembly ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Patrick , I know this an old post but what goodyear tensioner did you put on . The belt I bought is a little longer then the one I'm trying to replace , Unfortunately there is no number on the old belt so I'm at a loss .. Was sold a Motorcraft JK81195 belt but it's not right ....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts