The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok where to start, I have heard both sides of this story some say keep it plugged in cause it deals with fueling according to DP tuner and then read a different post that said it doesnt matter unplugged if ebpv is gutted. Ok heres what I have done and found out, I have the ebpv delete pedistal and GTP 38r turbo with bellowed uppipes. with the ebps sensor unplugged I get an extra 4 pounds of boost with it unplugged. I have consider unplugging it getting the sp diesel code eliminator for it and then plug the exhaust hole in the manifold delete the line and use one if dieselsites nice new covers for there and free up some space. Or my other option is to leave it plugged in line is all cleaned out and sensor is less than a year old with no soot and have 4 pounds less boost. Truck runs good either way but feels like it boost a lot faster and harder with it unplugged. What have you discovered. Iam getting 30 pounds plugged in and a little bit over 30 unplugged. I also have the new dieselsite boots and have check truck over dont believe i have any boost leaks wondering what kind of numbers you get if u have same setup? More wondering on the beginning part though,

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Sorry to bring this back to life, but after searching and reading a lot about the EBPS, it's still not clear to me.
I think it is not related to the EBPV systems at all, which I am eliminating now with turbo upgrades anyway.

So what happens if the EBP sensor is simply disconnected? I have a 4" downpipe and don't see how my 4" exhaust system could allow high EBP to occur. Is this a safety system that I don't really need?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I believe if it is unplugged it will make the PCM defuel the engine until the oil temp is in the normal operating zone. Truck starts and runs fine but has problems when I would hit high way. As soon as oil temp hit in normal range problem would go away. I have had this problem for 6 years and could not figure it out spent a lot of money and time chasing it. I just found some posts on the topic a bit a go and picked up resistor to fool the PCM will see if it works.
DENNY

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing...I'm referring to the one in front of the engine, not on the pedestal.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The ebps is used for fuel trim.

Most owners don't realize it's probably plugged with soot so it's not working right anyway.

I don't notice a difference with it plugged in or unplugged.

I ran a resistor in it for a while and it didn't change anything when I Removed the resistor and plugged it back in.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The ebpv and ebps are not connected in any way. The ebps is used for fuel trim.

The ebpv is activated when oil temp is low.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I am talking about the one in front.
DENNY

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The ebps only affects fuel trim, And very slightly at that.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I am talking about the one in front.

DENNY

Like blue said, the one in the front is the EBPS. There is no gain of any sort if you unplug it. This sensor is use to adjust the fuelling table. So If unplugged or clogged, you will probably see worse MPG than if plugged and clean.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So if its clogged, wouldn't the effect be the same as if its unplugged, that is non-functional? If so, it can't trim the fuel, right?
The reason to trim fuel is because it senses high EBP, which means something is wrong and it tries to protect itself.
Just trying to understand the purpose and function...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
On a stock truck it might have more of an impact. But since most people are tuned, ebp is way higher anyways so I can't say it would have any effect.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Here is what I found out. For a federal emissions truck, the sensor only provides input (one of many) for the EBP valve operation and there is no fuel trim. There is a sticker on the passenger side valve cover to indicate federal or CA emissions. The CA trucks also use the sensor for other functions.
The advice is to leave the sensor plugged in with a clean tube as unplugging it may yield a code or two. If you get a check engine light, then it's in bad shape.
So even though I will not have a EBP valve anymore, I'll leave it be and in working condition, but I will unplug the one on the pedestal.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
On both my trucks the EBPV tube has been removed and plugged at the manifold. The sensor itself at the front of the engine is plugged in but open to atmosphere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts