The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BD exhaust brake on my 98 E350 which I love. Recently, I would hear a high pressure leak (a hiss) when it applied. When I manually activate the exhaust brake without the engine running, no hiss, so I decided it was coming from the exhaust itself rather than any of the air lines that activate the brake. I replaced the right up pipe and donut as it was leaking where it entered the Y just before the turbo thinking it was the source of the hiss but I still get the hiss. I next pressurized the exhaust with air from the back end and it appears that I have a leak where the EBPV shaft enters the EBPV housing. Also, last winter, I noticed that the EBPV would stick sometimes on cold mornings (no boost and no power at full throttle). I checked with my local Ford dealer and a rebuild kit is not available for the EBPV.

So, is my diagnosis correct?

If so, it appears my options are: 1) Replace the whole valve assembly ($315) 2) Gut the EBPV, or 3) Locate an alternate parts source to rebuild my existing EBPV.

Any suggestions, comments, etc., would be appreciated. The van has about 120,000 miles on it, mostly trouble free.

· Registered
2,937 Posts
I would gut the sucker . . . Unless you don't plug your truck in religously. When it gets really cold they are almost mandatory. I plug my truck in all the time in winter just so the ***** warms up as fast as possible. Since you live in Michigan you probably have a similar climate to me. There is a guy selling the pedestals already gutted on the "for sale " forum . . . in case you don't like it and want to change it back to stock after rebuilding yours.
Good luck

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
He is useing it for a brake.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

The BD exhaust brake is a separate unit, similar in construction to the EBPV but activated by an air cylinder. The assembly is mounted in-line with the exhaust pipe just past the catalytic converter. When the brake activates, it blocks the exhaust with a shaft-mounted plate. With the brake activated, the whole exhaust system ahead of the brake becomes pressurized, including the turbo and the EBPV, hence the leak at the EBPV.

If I gut the EBPV, can I just remove the shaft and plate, block off the hole where the shaft used to exit the housing, but leave the rod and cylinder intact? This approach will give me the option, if the warm-up is unsatisfactory, to buy the $315 valve assembly and go back to the stock configuration.

Andy

· Registered
2,937 Posts
I am familiar with the exhaust brake concept . . . However I prefer Brembo brakes and changing pads frequently . Yes you install frost plugs and some guys weld the shaft shut. Either way you have to remove the pedestal from the Turbo. I would buy the gutted version and just re & re it with new o-rings and see ya wouldn't wanna be ya . . . Look in the archives there are several threads on the subject
Fernando

· Registered
107 Posts
My 2000 E350SD PSD 7.3L did not come with a catalytic converter from the factory.

Do the new vans have them with the 6.0 engine?

· Registered
2,864 Posts
astr
I see now. I would gut as you state. No need for it. The EBPV system is crap. Only i would remove the shaft ect due to it will end up into an oil leak down the road. Only thing is the break will only help with warmup when in idle mode. I will bet with a little rewiring you could set the brake up for winter warmup if needed. (dual usage)

97 had a cat.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.