The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
No, three pounds will hold it open with no plate flutter.
The name of the bulletin is oil leak for a reason.
The plate in the spring double seal assembly has rubber on it. There is also a valve stem umbrella type seal further back on rod.
Without ten pounds th rubber seal on plate does not seal properly and the whole assembly becomes askew and start shifting and rocking. The disc that has large cup seal on it that the oil pressure acts against must be kept centered and square as much as possible because there is no centering bushing on outlet of hydraulic cylinder due to the arcing radius the EBV linkage tab travels during activavation and release.
So to recap:
Unstable seal arrangement on two of the three seals in that assembly inside of cylinder.
The front plate needs to be pushing hard against front wall of cylinder or it can not seal.
This assembly needs to be pushing hard against front of cylinder to keep rod and seal plate assembly centered so the back large cup seal that the oil pressure acts against is not tilting so when it DOES rock due to arc radius travel it does not tilt so much that it's very shallow cup seal lips do not allow pressurized oil to rush past them.
This is how it works and is why they want ten pounds, hence the name TSB oil leak.

Makes me glad I took the time to preload mine when I changed out the turbo. It wasn't leaking and I didn't really want to tear into it so I just change the outer seal and set the preload as per the kit instructions, 10 or 11 lbs IIRC. No leaks yet.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
the world isn't ready for that match underhood bling haha

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
With reservoir on. I have black screws for tank lid. The red ones are a no go.
It was not nor is it now finished.
There are other photos under my write up... XDP billet, Barder's 360 applied performance actuator.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,636 Posts
i know guys who live in -30 weather and have deleted it, there truck warms up the exact same.
Not true. When running down the highway cold, with the EBPV active, my EGT runs at almost 900F, when the oil warms enough for the EBPV to deactivate, boost comes up and EGT drops to around 600F. You can't say that 600F EGT will warm the engine as quickly as 900F.

Copngrats Nick, you just got a thread moved to the FAQ Subforum. Good Job.

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is what happens especially with diesels when blow by develops acids.
You can have acids in the oil of an engine that just sits and the stuff just etches away.
Save the cold 7.3 Save the EBV pedastal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
i thought the ebpv wasnt supposed to activate while your driving? i thought it only came on at idle. just curious

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i thought the ebpv wasnt supposed to activate while your driving? i thought it only came on at idle. just curious
It sure does activate while driving and it's very noticeable.. Tapping the brake releases it IIRC.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts