The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on a 2006 E450 called Ford to order a ECM and of course they quoted and sent a FICM. Called them back and they said the ECM is on back order. Called my scrap yards and they say there is 21 different comp and they only have 1. From my knowledge the ECM is universal to any 6.0 as long as it is also an auto transmission... is this true can I install any ECU and program it to the E450?

it came in with no power and a lot of black smoke from the exhaust and won’t build boost. The customer replaced the turbo, VGT solenoid EGR valve, cooling fan, and coolant sensor. He had P0299 P1408 all 8 glow plug circuit codes and a cooling fan code. The vehicle was overheating he said. I think the over heating was caused by lack of power and pushing it to get it to go. I tested the VGT solenoid pigtail for power and ground. Both of which come from the ECM 12v out •black/lt blue• and no ground control on blue Duty cycle wire. I used a 9007 light bulb to test load on the 12v supply wire then used a known good ground to make sure the bulb turned on I the. Used the pcm to modulate the ground and the light won’t come on. So I determined the ECM is bad but can’t get one.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I assume you tested BOTH VGT actuator circuits for shorts to power and ground and load tested both using an external power and ground? The Econoline 6 liters are notorious for baking the engine harness resulting in the loom cover disintegrating allowing for chafing and shorts. Just mentioning this because its something that has to be looked at. Before condemning the PCM I might want to manually ground the actuator circuit and listen for a change in the sound of the turbo. Not saying your diag is wrong - PCM failures are just not common at all so I like to be absolutely sure before replacing one... especially because you are having trouble locating one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think I'm onto something so the VGT seems to work fine but the exhaust backpressure under full throttle [took a while to get moving] 3184RPM is only 24.6 psi with a manifold pressure of 43.4 psi. The EBP sensor was replaced with a [StandardMotorProducts P#VP22] and I cleaned the supply tube and made sure the exhaust manifold port was clear. I also tried a MAP sensor [Motorcraft P# 2L1Z-9F479-AA] and checked the supply hose and manifold nipple all is clear. the turbo is brand new from Ford and I have tried removing the down pipe and letting the exhaust vent into the cab [door open] same issue.

--Test drive PID's watched--
APP 100%
RPM 3500
Exhaust back pressure 24.6psi
Manifold absolute pressure 43psi
VGT % 49.87

When accelerating from a stop it takes off fine but at about 10MPH it starts to bog/blow black smoke and when you smash the skinny pedal and hold it for about 15seconds it starts to come up on RPM's and shift when you let off the turbo barks like it had a lot of boost to get ride of. when sitting at idle in park and smash the pedal it does the same thing. starts to rev fine then bogs hold the skinny down and it starts blowing black smoke and revs up, let off and the turbo barks.

I don't hear any exhaust leaks driving with the dog house off.

--DTC list after clearing and driving around the block [1/4 mile maybe]--
P0299 Turbo charger under boost
P0480 Cooling fan circuit fault
P0671 #1 Glow plug circuit
P0672 #2 Glow plug circuit
P0673 #3 Glow plug circuit
P0674 #4 Glow plug circuit
P0675 #5 Glow plug circuit
P0676 #6 Glow plug circuit
P0677 #7 Glow plug circuit
P0678 #8 Glow plug circuit

Data Pids.jpg EBP sensor.jpg EBP port.jpg EBP Port After.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I figured it out the EBP sensor port on the manifold was not fully clear so we removed it and used a drill bit to clear the passage way and.... [drum roll]
o_O what do you know it runs normal again! o_O

1 - 4 of 4 Posts