The Diesel Stop banner

EGR cooler gaskets, sealant or grease?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  straight_up 
#1 ·
Question for anybody who has replaced the EGR cooler on a 6.0: Did you use a sealant or grease on the metal gaskets between the cooler and the intake and exhaust? Good results?

I'm in the process of putting a BPD cooler in there. I'm following along with DieselTechRon's video and he looked like he put grease on the exhaust gasket to hold it in place for assembly but nothing on the intake.

BPD suggests silicone sealant on the intake side but doesn't seem to say anything about the exhaust side. I bought a tube of RTV black silicone sealant but then found it says it's not for use on engine gaskets. I've been using assembly lube on all my other o-rings and gaskets so far, but I'm not sure about these metal gaskets and can't seem to find much info online.

#2 · (Edited)
I personally do not use silicone - I have never thought silicone on exhaust components was a good thing. A couple dabs of grease or assembly lube won't hurt anything. We recognize the need to hold that gasket in place so use what is effective and does not make a mess or actually cause sealing concerns. I use Permatex Copper Seal to hold that inlet gasket on the EGR cooler. A light spray on both parts, wait a few minutes for it to tack up and assemble. Usually holds it really well. Assemble everything finger tight then torque down the intake manifold first, then the EGR cooler and end with the exhaust connections. I like to assemble the EGR cooler to the manifold on the bench before installing it all on the engine. If you loosely install the EGR cooler first then try to line up the bolt holes at the front of the cooler where it connects to the manifold you will find it to be difficult and I have seen quite a few assembly failures from someone doing this. It can be done and I have... also requires the front gasket being stuck to the cooler.

Have fun!

#4 ·
The one to the intake manifold does not need to be secured if you assemble the cooler and manifold on the bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.