The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is how to replace the orange EGR cooler hose without removing the intake manifold or EGR cooler.

Start by identifying the leak. This leak is usually present for a short time after the engine has fully cooled down. A few drops of coolant will appear to be dripping off the lower rear corner of the right cylinder head.

Look for coolant below the orange hose

If you've got coolant here, then take out the turbo and pedestal.

Turbo and pedestal out

Drain out some coolant, so when you disconnect the EGR cooler hose you won't dump coolant everywhere.

Turn the hose so the "1" symbol is straight up
Slide the hose straight back
Have these two o-rings on hand
Note: the cover may be a bit difficult to get off. Work it side to side to keep from breaking anything. If you get medieval with it, the cover will break.

Install the two new o-rings along with your new EGR cooler hose (it will be blue) and put 'er all back together...

Beer time...

·
Registered
937 Posts
<span style="color: blue"> Greg ,

Awesome right up...you never cease to amaze me. Your contributions are a true asset to TDS!

Later, </span>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any chance you know and could post up those part numbers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
yeah can we get some part numbers for the new hose and orings please

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've noticed this since the temp dipped into the teens, What kind of time are you looking at to replace the hose and seals? It's funny but if I plug the block heater in, it doesn't leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem. I put the hose on the housing first before I put it back on. This worked the best for me, I could not get my fingers around the hose. I have not seen anymore fluid on below 25 DEG days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Holy batman... Just spoke to my local dealer.. they want $400...I say again, $400 to replace the EGR cooler hose...I already have the hose, coolant and gaskets that go to the little housing that the hose hooks up to opposite the EGR cooler. I about hit the floor.

I think I will try this repair myself....I hope it turns out well...lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE:

if your good you dont have to take the turbo or pedestal out
My hose appeared to be intact, but the cheap clamp Ford used didn't seem to be tight enough. I cut the old clamp off (without removing the turbo) with some diagonals and slid a regular hose clamp around it, snugged it up, no more leak...(did get a charley horse in my hand from contorting it to thread the hose clamp together...)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where can I find one of these hoses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This site might have saved me $$$$ in parts and Labor. I currently have the same leak off the right side aft only after a cold night and not while in operation. I was expecting to blow the dust off my shop manual and tear into the turbo, intake. Today I put the uv die in the Dega bottle and to find the orgin of the leak tomorrow. I do not see any antifreeze on top so I went the uv die route. The truck is currently stock and does not show any degrade in performance or smoke out the pipe... I hope the hose is the problem and not something more serious..My thanks to everyone on this site....

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
An idea and word of caution:

I just installed the bulletproofdiesel mod to the oil cooler on my 6.0. The kit comes with a genuine piece of silicone heater hose (like that used on Kenworths, etc) and a simple pair of "spring type" hose clamps. Maybe those with leaks of this hose could skip the expensive Ford part and replace it with the spring clamps and silicone heater hose? Maybe the very flexible heater hose could be installed without removing the turbo and after having just done it three time I can safely say it's no fun.

I did find out that genuine silicone heater hose is not readily available at the local parts store and you MUST use spring clamps on this material - traditional screw type clamps will damage the hose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Regarding that blue hose, how many o-rings should it have?

When I pulled mine off, It only had two. One on each side. It looks like the egr cooler side should have two. At least there was another groove there. I dont know if that other groove is for an o-ring or if its just where the metal is rolled to give it a riser for the outer clamp to hold onto.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.