The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been losing coolant for a while and on one occasion i took out EGR valve and it didn't seem to be wet but today when i started it up had white smoke ,took out EGR valve again and seemed to be wet, I started the truck and looked in intake and had wetness everywhere and blowing out of intake. the smoke i have had 3 or 4 times over the past 3 or 4 months. the smoke last for a while then quits, i smelled the smoke and couldn't really smell sweet but didn't have overpowering fuel smell. Should note the deltas are 8 to 10.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can't hardly go wrong by either replacing the EGR cooler with the upgraded aftermarket type (don't know the brand at the moment) or doing a delete. Deleted mine before ever having any issues. With the symptoms you have going, you want to get something done quick and not risk hydro-locking the engine with coolant. There's always a chance that you could be losing the coolant to a headgasket leak but my understanding of that is they normally show up as pressure in the system and "puking" of coolant from the degas bottle. Time to do something. Good luck. Lots of good reading here and 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
839 Posts
Replace egr cooler and oil cooler, it would be a great idea to Flush with restore and restore+ BEFORE you change out Coolers , Its not the headgaskets.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Sure seems like the EGR cooler. I would delete it. No need to tune, you won't get a CEL on an '04. I would advise addressing the y-pipe though. When you delete the EGR cooler the y-pipe loses a major point of support, and is prone to failing at the bellows on the RH side. You can have a shop modify your stock pipe, or do an exchange where they remove the failure prone bellows and weld in stainless steel flex couplings. MPD does these for about $385 exchange I believe. They are who I would use.

Its a pain to do the work twice, but I would delete the EGR cooler, then flush and swap the OC. I just wouldn't take the risk with an EGR cooler that is outright leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts