The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just got finished getting this one fixed on my 2011 6.7L. Ended up being a plugged EGR cooler. It is covered under the 5yr/100K miles warranty, so if you are under that, get it in to the dealer pronto.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had that code pop up a few months back and it was covered under waranty. I had 92000 miles on it at that time. Truck runs better now too.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I was driving down the freeway a few days ago and noticed the CEL on. I fired up the Torque Pro and got the P0401 code. I then shut down the truck and then restarted and the CEL was still there. The next day when I started the truck the CEL was gone. Does this mean that I'm ok or should I get it into the dealer?

And, how long did the dealer need the truck to make the repair?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was driving down the freeway a few days ago and noticed the CEL on. I fired up the Torque Pro and got the P0401 code. I then shut down the truck and then restarted and the CEL was still there. The next day when I started the truck the CEL was gone. Does this mean that I'm ok or should I get it into the dealer?

And, how long did the dealer need the truck to make the repair?
Go to the dealer. My P401 came and went too, which was frustrating, because I figured with no CEL, no diagnosis. But even with the CEL off, the codes are still stored. Mine was near plugged, and it was replaced under the 100K warranty. BTW, the truck runs better than ever too, pretty sure it was derating the power for quite some time, and I didnt even know it. Because now pulling hills with my trailer, i have a lot more power than i used too.

Repair was a day or two it seems like.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah, I'd take it to the dealer and have them take care of it. Mine was under warranty and I had the problem at 92,000 miles. They only needed it for a day. Like djousma said the truck feels more powerful since. Mine didn't have any drive-ability issues when I was getting the CEL P0401 code but I could tell a difference after they did the work.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I was driving down the freeway a few days ago and noticed the CEL on. I fired up the Torque Pro and got the P0401 code. I then shut down the truck and then restarted and the CEL was still there. The next day when I started the truck the CEL was gone. Does this mean that I'm ok or should I get it into the dealer?...
Hi doczenith1,

As the others have suggested, I'd get this in front of your dealer. What's the current mileage on your truck? I'll research some ways to help out.

Crystal

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had this same problem, code would pop up on my Edge cs monitor but not turn on the CEL. One morning the CEL came on it was the same code P0401 took it in to the dealer. They said the erg cooler was plugged. They replaced it under warranty, this happen before on Jan 13 -2014 @ 26900 miles it happened monday at 59950 miles I asked the Service manager can i expect this every 33k miles he said it depends on fuel and if you use additives. I'm going to use fords fuel additive and cetane booster religiously from now on. Hopefully i can prevent this or at least stretch the interval a little longer. You would think ford would be slightly embarrassed that their super duty truck has a constant problem like this.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you let your truck idle a lot? mine didnt go until 90K miles. I dont idle much though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
truck has 730 idle hrs I don't let her idle very long just long enough to get the EGT#1 under 350 before shutting off. Not sure what the first owner did but I plan on running an additive in every tank I'll use seafoam every 5 tank. Hopefully that will help prevent this from happening sooner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this code as well with the same cause. The EGR cooler was replaced under warranty at about 54,000 miles. I do not idle often, although within the last year more than I normally would due to sitting in traffic. I had been running B5 with no additive. One of the techs here said it was inevitable with any cooled EGR diesel. I am approaching the end of my powertrain warranty (5 yrs/100K) and am considering some alternatives.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A week or so ago I had the CEL come on and so I did the same as someone mentioned above and read the code with torque pro and found out it was the P0401 error code. I reset it and had to let my wife drive the truck because her Edge was in the shop and while she was driving it the light came back on. We got her car back yesterday and it is off again. I would just take it to the dealership but I am out of warranty because of millage so it is going to cost if the cooler needs to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience having to pay for the cooler and if so how much should I be expecting?

Another issue I noticed (I am not sure if they are related or not) but my DEF usage has skyrocket. I was going around 5-7k between needing to fill the def and I just filled it before my last oil change and I haven't put but maybe 1000 miles on it since. Now it is saying the def it low again. It was so full last time I filled it that it overflowed. Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be going on?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another thing I noticed on the way home is even though the truck is reporting I need to add def. Torque is saying I have 2.5 gallons left. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ran the tests in Torque this morning and 2 items on the list failed:

MID:$22 TID:$8b
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 2
Max: 24,780minute Min: 10,600minute
Test result value: 5,200minute
FAIL

MID:$1f TID:$f9
-
Max: 8,192 Min: 10,648
Test result value: 0
FAIL

The second one has no description. Any Ideas where I might find a description? I am looking around Torques website now too.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another thing I noticed on the way home is even though the truck is reporting I need to add def. Torque is saying I have 2.5 gallons left. Any suggestions?

Not sure what PID you are reading in Torque, but as far as I know the DEF level PID has never been proven accurate. Just the fact that it changes is enough for most guys to know that its time to add more DEF. What does the productivity screen say for DEF level?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Humm...Torque has been somewhat accurate for me up to now. I am going to buy a couple 2.5 gallons on lunch and see how much it takes.

·
Registered
564 Posts
well, you need to understand how Torque works. It just reads the PIDs fed to it from the PCM. The PIDS are just raw data, and there have been several people, me included that have been working to come up with the correct formula's to display the data correctly. Many now work, but DEF for one has never worked correctly as far as correctly displaying the amount. it displays a number, and sometimes that number changes as def goes down, but no one has figured out that formula yet. There is a lengthy Torque Pro thread on Ford Truck Enthusiasts if you want all the details.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Today I bought some def and it barley took 2 gallons. So torque was pretty much on track. Does that indicate that I have a sensor in the def tank gone bad? Maybe the one under full?

Back to the p0401 error. I still havnt had a cel on but it appeared that it was still in memory. I was noticing on my drive home that after about half the drive I felt a noticeable reduction of power. When it would get into the upper rpm the turbo pressure would drop from 20 to 10 with my foot still in it then jump back up after it shifted and the rpm went down. Still no cel but I decided to clear the code out of memory. As soon as I cleare the code all the power returned.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can you take a screenshot of the PID formula you are using for DEF in Torque? I'd say your sensors are fine. first notice in productivity screen is when its under 1/2 full.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts