The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently been doing alitte pulling, about 2 or 3k and have notice that my EGT are running higher than normal. usually arounf 7oo on flt anf 1000-1100 up a hill (interstate) If I feel like passing someone I'll hit 1250 or so. Boost is in the high teens and RPMs seem to make little different to whether they are at 1800 or 2300.

Am I running any risk with these temps? is so, what can I do to get them down? Going to be pulling some heavy equipment in the next few weeks...

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
1250 is the MAX you ever want to see for long turbo life. It can SIT at 1250 all day and you wont have any problems. Go OVER 1250 and you shorten engine/turbo life.

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
International engineers tell us you can run all day at 1,200 pre-turbo, and 1,250 pre-turbo is the redline. So I hope you have your thermocouple mounted before the turbo and not in the downpipe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
When passing Dodges and Chebby's up long hills, I have seen 1500-1700 for a few seconds at a time, with no apparent harm. I've done it a couple of times. I think the real harm comes in holding it at real high egt temps for long periods of time as it will melt your pistions and your turbo wheels, bearings, etc. This is another reason to run synthetic engine oil like Amsoil as it can take the higher heat better than dino. Don't forget, your engine oil also oils your turbo bearings.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'd stay with Internationals limits, pushing your luck while going over that. The piston tops take a beating, they can/do heat crack and it will take some time before it shows up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a stock exh. anything i can do to keep these down, other than layong off the peddle?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts