The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to update a very worthwhile mods for me, I have been using the red Rotella ELC (believe most 300,000 miles plus ELC brands are red) with great success for eight years now. I mentioned another worthwhile mod I switched to, about the same time, in another post several years ago, was the Ford Severe Duty Air Intake System. Much longer change intervals and better filtration. More closed hood time! Yea!

No cavitation signs what-so-ever with ELC for me, according to my mechanic, when he put on a water pump for me. No need for additives for ELCs. So it is virtually maintenance free, just like the big rigs, which I like very much.

Thought my experience might help others who are on the fence about changing over to ELC and the Ford Severe Duty AIC. I think some of the newer ELCs are good for 500,000 miles, but I may be wrong.

Hope the above information will help some folks.

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I use peak final charge global elc, which has an 8 year life as I don't even get near the 600k mileage limit...just changed it recently.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I remember, my ELC was International or Rotella. Been a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I have Shell Rotella Ultra ELC in my truck. It's good for 600,000 miles. However, the Shell Rotella Ultra ELC has been replaced by Shell Rotella Nitrite Free ELC. The good news is that it is now good for 1.2 million miles.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Like the OP, I changed my stock air filter not long after I bought my truck new. My goal was to get the stock air filter out, replaced by something warranty friendly, at the time there were horror stories about stock filter system dusting on the forum, didnt want that. I always get good Blackstone reports back on low silicon numbers.
I changed to Rotella ELC after tiring of treating the Ford Gold Coolant. I ran it about 150K, had an oil cooler o-ring leak that got oil in my coolant and had to dump that ELC fill when I put new o-rings in the oil cooler and cleaned up the system. Refilled with new Rotella ELC when I changed out my water pump I also found no corrosion or cavitation erosion on the front cover behind the pump, that was encouraging. After the water pump change I just put the same Rotella ELC I had drained out back in. Both Ford AIS Filter and Rotella ELC have proven to be a good product for me and my driving practices.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
ECL coolant are great. HOWEVER, depending on build date you can have some issues with gasket problems. I believe Gooch was the coolant guy that had the good posts. I have a early 99 with build date of 8/1998 so I am stuck with the green stuff. If interested do a search and you should find the cutoff date.
DENNY

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ECL coolant are great. HOWEVER, depending on build date you can have some issues with gasket problems. I believe Gooch was the coolant guy that had the good posts. I have a early 99 with build date of 8/1998 so I am stuck with the green stuff. If interested do a search and you should find the cutoff date.
DENNY
Yes, Denny, I believe I remember that some of the 99s were not ELC friendly, resulting having to use the green stuff. Thanks for remembering that. I miss Gooch, his experience and his expertise in the coolant industry.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes, Denny, I believe I remember that some of the 99s were not ELC friendly, resulting having to use the green stuff. Thanks for remembering that. I miss Gooch, his experience and his expertise in the coolant industry.
Yes, Gooch helped a lot of people, including me, to get the best coolant into their vehicles so that they would last as long as possible and reduce maintenance costs.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Another side note on the early 99 air filters. They are just a bit different than the later ones. You have to go to ford and get the filter off the VIN. Aftermarket ones look right but will be just a hair to big. Just off enough to make you think it can work, but it won't!! Don't let Ford sell you one for a late 99 or 2000 they are not right. DENNY

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Denny, does this apply for the Ford Severe Duty Air Intake System as well for the early 99 models?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
No, the Severe Duty Air Intake System came out later. Trivia, the early Superdutys pulled air from the fender well. This cause problems with truck used in farm fields/off road. The upgrade was to use the box with the front snorkel. Somewhere after that the Severe Duty model came out if I remember correctly. Keven or Smokey may remember.
DENNY

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the Severe Duty Air Intake System came out later. Trivia, the early Superdutys pulled air from the fender well. This cause problems with truck used in farm fields/off road. The upgrade was to use the box with the front snorkel. Somewhere after that the Severe Duty model came out if I remember correctly. Keven or Smokey may remember.
DENNY
DENNY

·
Premium Member
14,983 Posts
The allegation was ELC wouldn't play nice with the injector cup sealant used in the early 99 models. So - anyone who has had their cups replaced should be able to convert to ELC at this point. If you do need to do your cups - RiffRaff now has stainless steel cups. They came out right before I did my injectors (and new cups for preventative maintenance) so I get to be everyone's guinea pig for them. When you hold one of the stainless cups next to a brass cup - there's just no comparison in how much more solid they feel.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Too, as I remember from many years ago, Ford arranged for Donaldson, maker of big rig and military battlefield equipment filters, to develop the Severe Duty AIS for them. From my aging memory, it seems the request from Ford was due to dust problems in oil fields with lack of good OE dirt filtration in Saudi and other desert oil fields, and oil companies who used a lot of Ford Super Duties in the United States.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts