The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with getting 1990 7.3 to crank. Replaced the glow plug relay, glow plugs and the fuel return lines. Went to prime the lines and the truck went “crazy”. The battery gauge started jumping back and forth and the glow plug clicking like crazy. Any advice?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does the truck crank over at all, or just not start when cranking. It is normal for the gauge to bounce back and forth while the glow plug relay is cycling.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the truck crank over at all, or just not start when cranking. It is normal for the gauge to bounce back and forth while the glow plug relay is cycling.
It won’t turn over now. When I began to prime to the filter and it turned over. Wine we moved to the injectors to prime it started the clicking and would not turn over

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
Clicking relays is usually a sign of weak or bad batteries, and now that it doesn't turn over I would bet that is the case.

Put the batteries on a charger for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I think I saw smoke coming from a couple of the GP’s that we’re brand new. This was the first time there were ever heated up. I installed ZD 9’s and thinking some may have burned out. I heard burned out GP’s can cause the controller to act this way. The controller is new and installed in January. I will take these out this evening and check. Should a 1990 7.3 have ZD 11’s or 9’s?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Clicking relays is usually a sign of weak or bad batteries, and now that it doesn't turn over I would bet that is the case.

Put the batteries on a charger for a while and see what happens.
Both of mine do that and never have a problem with them cranking over and starting.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
You need to set the glow plug situation a side for the moment. Find out if your batteries are good and the starter. Make sure you have good connections, plus and neg. And think I have stated it before, but taking your starter to a normal parts store to test it proves nothing on a diesel. They need to be load tested which normal only a place that rebuilds them can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You need to set the glow plug situation a side for the moment. Find out if your batteries are good and the starter. Make sure you have good connections, plus and neg. And think I have stated it before, but taking your starter to a normal parts store to test it proves nothing on a diesel. They need to be load tested which normal only a place that rebuilds them can do.

Got it. I will charge and try again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts