The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving my 95 f250 powerstroke today, and after I hit a large pothole, it started acting like the ignition was cycling, the moved on to the starter solenoid on the fender well smoking, and burning the two fuse link wires to the alternator,, melting a negative battery terminal, any one have any ideas on what could cause that? I don't know where to start

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction it wasn't the fuse links to the alternator they went to something else and I have no clue what, anyone have a wiring diagram ?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
There isn't "a" diagram. It's a whole book.

Sounds like a dead short to ground. Wild stab guess would be GP relay; maybe something metal fell against the always-hot terminal when you hit the bump. Is your engine cover in place?

Are your batteries still connected?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I disconnected them when I saw smoke, I am clueless as to what the two fuse links that burnt out go to, it was enough current to melt a battery terminal and if the batteries do get hooked up it starts smoking again, and no power at the ignition switch

·
Premium Member
9,586 Posts
You are going to have to start tracing wires. There is one that goes to the glow plug relay that is always hot, if it came off and grounded out you'll get what you described.

You are also going to need to get a digital volt/ohm meter to try and figure this out. You have a direct short to ground somewhere and if you connect the meter to the battery cables when they are disconnected should read 0 ohms, once you find the problem the ohm reading will go up since you will be looking at equipment connected to the wiring.

If you don't have one just about any parts store will have a cheap one for sale for less than $20 and if you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can get one for just a few dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have one, I build drag bikes, gonna start tracing as soon as the weather clears up, thank you man you are very much appreciated

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
...what the two fuse links that burnt out go to...
If you'd post pics, we MIGHT be able to help you.
How do I post pictures, sounds, and or videos? | SuperMotors.net Forums | SuperMotors.net
...it was enough current to melt a battery terminal...
Then it's enough to make a battery explode. Don't connect the batteries again until you've repaired at least one heavy short-circuit.
...no power at the ignition switch
How are you testing that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the problem, the fuse box mount was broken, and it wasn't secure so guessing when I hit that bump, the main feed wire into it contacted the fender, could see the heavy arc marks on it, gonna solder in some new fuse link wire and give it a shot all the other circuits test out properly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts