The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Oregon and own a 2006, Ford, F250 with a 6.0 Diesel engine. Where I live is at sea level.
I went to Carson City (NV), which is at about 4,800 feet above sea level. While in Carson, my truck showed a thick, black smoke during acceleration from a stop. I contacted the Ford dealership in Carson, but they were too busy to look at my truck. I pulled the EGR valve and EGP sensor and tube. They were dirty so I cleaned them and put things back together. This made no difference while I was in Carson City.
I went back home and the truck was back to normal.
I went Timberline Lodge (OR) and the truck ran the same way it did in Carson City, slow acceleration and thick, black smoke.
After returning home and the truck running “normal”, I went back to Carson City and the again ran with a slow acceleration and thick, black smoke.
I took my truck in to the Carson Ford dealership and after the tech looked at my truck, I was told everything seems to be fine. The only issue was the turbo boost was low, but not a problem to the extent that he would change the turbo.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmmm if i read correctly....I think there was a software update on the computer in these trucks to fix problems like this...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you burning BioDiesel? Mine started doing the same thing at altitude(East Lake and Diamond Lake) when I began using B20 a little over a year ago. It only smokes at low speed after initial start up and will clear after about one mile at higher RPM.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Pull and clean the EBP sensor and tube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there was a software update on the computer in these trucks to fix problems like this... Hi Byron I do have the latest software. Just got it on fri. seem like it do better but still blowing black smoke from lights or stop signs. Hi bismic I did clean the EBP sensor and tube on the first trip still no help also when I got home I checked it and all was good. I don't run b-20 that I know of. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Did you check the MAP sensor hose and the sensor itself?

Also, did you put it on a code reader?

Check the Baro, MAP, and EBP readings at KOEO. They should be at most 0.5 psig from each other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes good map sensor and hose, tech said that all is good. I was at the dealer here in carson city on Friday, they updated the software. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Could you be haveing seperate issues for the smokeing?
By the book; the pcm is supposed to autoatically compensate for changes in elevation.
However since I have never driven in different elevations I have no actual exprience with this yes or no.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Could you be haveing seperate issues for the smokeing?
By the book; the pcm is supposed to autoatically compensate for changes in elevation.
However since I have never driven in different elevations I have no actual exprience with this yes or no.
My experience is that the PCM does a really good job compensating for elevation and temperature change. I haven't noticed a difference in power, EGTs, or smoke between sea level and 4500' regardless of season/weather. Above 4500' the air is thin enough that it is no longer possible for my truck to get the boost pressure needed to force the appropriate MAF into the cylinders for the max power level. At this point with stock tuning the truck defuels slightly to maintain the fuel-air ratio and it feels underpowered, it doesn't smoke. I haven't been above 7000' and I've only really experienced the underpowered feeling between 5000' and 7000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
well I drove home thursday night, and half way home got a code p0405 ( egr low voltage ) truck was running very poorly by the time I got home, took it back to the dealer friday waited around for 5 hours still no answer on problems, they gave me a car for the long weekend. I replaced the egr in carson city on monday ( 8-31 ) and truck seem to be a little better. p.s. if the truck was defueling that would be a plus back it stinks like diesel and fuel mpg are down.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dudley4

You're in Portland? do they SMOG there? If not there's always an EGR delete if the EGR valve is acting up. They don't smog or do inspection's where I live at in OR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They don't smog or do inspection's where I live at in OR. I would like to leave it like it is all most stock just in case. I run MBRP 4'' exhaust, coolant filter, amsoil bypass oil filter, edge cts and scan gauges. tech does not like my oil bypass or coolant filter setup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the good news is got the truck back wed. 9-9. service guy was telling me that tech pulled egr and it was clean ? couldn't find anything wrong ( had 2 codes p0299 p0405 ) no charge. The truck is running great, put 400 miles on it burned 1/2 tank of fuel don't smell diesel when I get out of the truck, drove up to Timberline Lodge no smoke. Sounds better, drives better, looks like my mileage is back. So the things I do see that are different, vgt at light or stop sign was 85% now 74%, egt temp was 925 to 950 running 65 on the hwy, now back to 725 to 750. So the million dollar ? did the truck fix it self. Thanks for the help, Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts