The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I swear by these. They last about 6-8 hours and allow me to wear thin gloves for dexterity around instruments.

About $1/pair unless you find them on sale though...I used to buy them myself and catch flack from all the crews for being a wuss.
Absolutely, we used to help a rancher yearly trail his cattle down from mountain grazing on horseback 17+ miles, then later 13 miles down a secondary highway from the beet fields to his pasture and I had the chemical hand warmers in my gloves and also in the toe of each boot. There's very little cab heat off the back of a horse at 10°. :laugh2:

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I should add, I don't know if it's every winter, but our nearest Costco (Billings, MT) carries the chemical warmers in big bulk boxes at a very cheap price. I'd think the Colorado Costco's do too?

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I would prefer to have a fuel heater in the truck for most of the country. The main issue with Diesel and cold temps is the cloud point of the fuel. This is when wax in the fuel comes out of solution and starts clogging filters not the fuel line. A fuel heater at the filter will help prevent this. Most fuel today is properly blended for the area you are driving, however, every now and then you hear of an issue. 18 years ago every fall you would see several posts pop up about people with fuel issue. Now if it is a leak monster and causing problems getting rid of it may be the answer. I had a 79 VW Rabbit in Minnesota back in the day. Manual said you could add a gallon of gas per tank of diesel, I used that and additive it worked at -40.
DENNY

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I would prefer to have a fuel heater in the truck for most of the country. The main issue with Diesel and cold temps is the cloud point of the fuel. This is when wax in the fuel comes out of solution and starts clogging filters not the fuel line. A fuel heater at the filter will help prevent this. Most fuel today is properly blended for the area you are driving, however, every now and then you hear of an issue. 18 years ago every fall you would see several posts pop up about people with fuel issue. Now if it is a leak monster and causing problems getting rid of it may be the answer. I had a 79 VW Rabbit in Minnesota back in the day. Manual said you could add a gallon of gas per tank of diesel, I used that and additive it worked at -40.
DENNY
Yep, that's why when my heater sprung a leak at the plastic plug I opted to buy a new one. Bad part is I drive my '91 so little nowadays it has non winterized fuel in it. I pour in the correct amount of Power Service (antigel formula) but don't know how much to trust it. Years ago there was an out of town box truck pulled over on the east edge of town with tarps all around the outside edges and a portable heater blowing under the entire truck. Those poor guys baby sat that thing for about 3 or 4 days trying to thaw out the diesel.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts