The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a thread already asking weather a 99 7.3 I was considering buying would fit in my 01. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/will-fit-613985/ I now have it stripped down to just the short block. Cylinder walls have very little ridge maybe a few thou. Bearings look good on mains and rods. My plan which is open to change was to take it to the machine shop and let them tank it and install new cam bearings,and do the cylinder walls however they feel is right. Maybe re-use the stock pistons or buy one of the complete kits that include everything. Since I have access to my 01 engine as well what parts are better if any between the two. I will be using the better rods as informed in previous thread from the 99. Any difference in heads, manifolds that I should be aware of? Its not going to be a super power build but anything that helps while I am doing this would be greatly appreciated. I have built many a gas engine, this will be my first diesel, so any advice would also be appreciated Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. There are no other part difference between the two motors. I'd have the machine shop remove any ridges and lightly hone the cylinders. New rings and bearings, a new oil pump and call it a day. I'd have them clean up the heads- that's usually pretty inexpensive. There would have to be some pretty convincing evidence to let them talk you into boring the cylinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Early 99 had different intake and turbo.
DENNY

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went out and bought the ridge reamer. Sunny today so its going to be yard work. Rain tomorrow so it will keep me in the garage using my new tool

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dropped the block off at the machine shop today. Waiting for any good/bad news. As a side note I had to chainfall the engine into the back of my jeep. Had to remove the hardtop to get it in. That block even bare is heavy

·
Super Moderator
24,882 Posts
That block even bare is heavy
You got that right!! I was barely able to dump my bare cracked block out the back of the truck at the scrap yard. It did increase the money I got as scrap compared to a gas engine though. :lol:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cylinders 19thou out of round. Waiting on crank results. Evidence is pretty much confirming higher mileage and possibly bad maintenance.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up machining cylinders and crank. Will be taking the heads to them this week. Are there any issues I should be aware of or common problems with these heads? Is there anything I should have them do while their at it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
No known issues. No cracking issues at all - unlike the 6.0 and 6.4. Just a good valve job and you should be good for another half million miles or better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I wanted to hear.

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the camshafts the same between a 99 and 01? Usually as the years go on the manufacture puts a little more hp and torque into the new models and I was just wondering what parts are better. Are the aftermarket camshafts worth it for a daily driver?

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
No difference in the part number. All the extra HP was through tuning. Personally, I don't think an aftermarket grind is worth it. These things run so well with the stock cam, I'd just stay with that.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I would think the piss poor air filter housing Ford used probably allowed it to get dusted and it wore cylinder walls. Usually no lower end wear from that.

The clips breaking or dirty airfilter pulling in happens way to much to the 7.3's not owned by guys that are paying attention. Or trucks that go to less than stellar quickie lube places

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, and yes Jimmie I agree. Probably operated by a employee who just did not care as it was not his. Regardless. its mine now and I want my truck back on the road so I can go camping with my very patient wife

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordered the motorcraft rebuild kit from riff raff. Amazing service so far. Received shipping confirmation in under an hour after placing it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well its about time for a update and a couple of questions as well. The Ford kit from riff raff has been very good so far. I have also used our forum discount and been receiving parts from Rock Auto on a weekly basis. I just received my new oil pan and next week will be receiving a new timing cover. My old one had some wear in the water pump area so I am going with a new one.

Has anyone ever used the 1" thick crank spacer to install the wear sleeve for the rear main? It seems to be a option. Also does anyone know the bolt size for that spacer as I will not have proper ones until I yank the motor out of my truck to install this one.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Starting to look around for a new HPOP. Since I am mostly stock but might play later I am thinking of the Terminator T500 sold through DP-Tuner. It in my price range as well. What are the differences between the 15* and 17* pumps? I have a 99 and a 01 that I can send for rebuilding. preferences? Any other reliable and proven builders that I should look at?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Joey of terminator is very hard to get ahold of if you have an issue.
I would either get the adrenaline from dieselsite or a stage 1 pump
From Cncfab

The obs and e99 has 15* hpops. swashplate was a little different. The 17* are a higher output.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that, when they rebuild them if I were to send a 15 would it come back as a 17

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
If you payed for a higher output pump it would come back a 17*.

Anytime. Service is almost as important as parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts