The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this post by saying I’ve driven lots of 6.7s and I’m familiar with what they should sound like. My truck doesn’t sound like any other 6.7 I’ve driven...when it’s warm. When it is still cold, it has that nice smooth sound. When it is nice and warm, the sound changes. When accelerating from a stop, there is a definitive change in the engine hum. It has that normal low diesel growl that you expect, but underneath that is a weird rattle/choppy sound that I can’t put my finger on. The smooth pur of the engine is gone and this weird choppy chatter takes its place at RPMs under 1700. Has anyone else heard this in their trucks? I’ve uploaded a video that records the sound, roughly around 30 seconds and towards the end of the clip. Don’t look at the screen because you’ll get sick but the audio is good. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Believe it or not I have been noticing that on many newer trucks that come in that I need to drive. My take on this that unless it's extreme and the check engine light is on, it is either calibration related possibly reacting to cooler ambient temperatures or even fuel quality. You could try fueling up from a different supplier or putting some performance fuel additive in the fuel tank just to see if there is a change. I checked for any bulletins relevant to engine noise and did not find any that fit this scenario. This is NOT the tick/tap/typewriter sound that occurs after an oil change - it is definitely combustion related.

One question though - this is consistent and not related to regeneration right? And this is new to your truck? I was not making this sound before?

On the note that you have driven many 6.7L trucks, do understand that engine output and calibrations vary with model years and pick-ups and cab and chassis vehicles. They are not all exactly the same.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks FordDoc. This is a 2014 Lariat. I have actually noticed it most of the time I’ve had it, almost a year now. It’s just gotten to the point where I want to know why it makes that weird sound when it’s warm. It does it regardless of being in regen or not. I’ll give the fuel additive a shot and see how that goes. We’re you able to get the sounds to go away in any of the trucks you saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
We’re you able to get the sounds to go away in any of the trucks you saw?

The trucks I noticed were not in for the engine sound. I consider the noise normal for the most part. I am sure if something was going wrong the truck would be giving you more signs like warning lights and performance issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts