The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my first diesel ive owned. I have a 1997 f350 "california" with a 7.3 with 180k miles. Ive experienced the engine cutting out while driving, cranks but no firing. ive had glow plug system issues lately resulting in replacing the glow plug solenoid with the White Rodgers upgrade which solved the check engine issue. Also replaced fuel filter and changed oil. Another concern i have is my OBD port is dead, ive pulled codes in the past with no issues and now it wont even register on the reader that is hooked to a port. Nothing wrong with the reader, works on other cars. Ive order a cam shaft position sensor and replaced all fuses hoping to solve this, im stumped.

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Start with the basics,

Do you get the WTS light?

Do you see RPM's on the tach?

Did you test the fuses or just replace them? That can get expensive with the maxi fuses under the hood. Check fuse 22 under the hood again and make sure that it isn't blown, if it is disconnect the fuel heater off of the filter housing. Also fuse #9 which supplies power to the PCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What ive discovered so far:

-So I have no WTS light. Checked all connections on PCM and bolts are tight, nothing burnt when i pulled connection off. Wires under dash are good.

-My RPM jumps when i crank, but no fire. Guess that rules out cam shaft sensor.

-Discovered oil in my glow plug connections at the valve cover gasket and harness on left cover

-Discovered a burnt/melted glow plug connection on the harness plug connecting to right side valve cover gasket. Towards back of engine. Guess thats the sourse of my orginal glow plug problem.

-Looks like ill be replacing 1, possibly 2 valve cover gaskets and and harness plug.

-All my fuses are good, tried disconnecting the heater plug on the bowel and still not firing.

-With a dead OBD port, no WTS light and all connections to PCM solid. Did I fry the PCM?

Sorry if im throwing alot at you, thank you for your time thus far.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on my current situation. Replaced Glow plug solenoid, cam sensor, fuel bowel heater, valve cover gasket/ inner glow plug wiring and burnt harness plug. Still not firing. No wait to start and rpms jump. Check enging light comes on. Are my problems pointing at the PCM?

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
It could be pointing towards the PCM, but I would check the 5V reference signal before trying another PCM (see my previous post for the linked post info). The Cali DPC-312 PCMs are hard to find! Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts