The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased used and she runs fine. Driving in the mountains without the trailer, she is a rocket.
Later, I picked up a 5th wheel (Call it 11,000 lbs loaded). When driving in the mountains, The howling noise starts when she is going up hill under load. I lose speed (power)and the noise gets worse. The power doesn't sputter, just drops off and I usually will maintain 45-50mph. Sometimes, the noise happens when I have the tow/haul engaged going downhill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I thought I recorded the howling noise. On the that recording I stated the RPM and the boost. I have the Stock gauges. If memory serves me (Remember, I'm old and CRS) boost was just less than 3 and I was under 4000 rpm. I've only heard the noise once when in wasn't under load, that was a cool morning (Not cold). I always let her warm up.
Not under load, she will go up the hill silently at 80-85 mph up a 6% grade.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Not an expert, but I think you're hearing the engine fan. It sounds like a jet engine and will come on when the coolant temp gets over 225 (or thereabouts). It will also sometimes run for a while when you first start even if it's cool outside. The 3 on the gauge would be 30 psi boost and if you're running over 3500 rpm you're close to redline. Towing an 11k lb trailer up a 6% grade you'll be doing good to get 50 mph, no way you'll maintain 80 mph up that grade pulling a trailer. Mine does the same thing when towing our fiver up the mountain grades. Best is to back off a little and be patient and just take it easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts