The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My powerstroke will miss, then backfire through the exhaust. The injecters make a racket when the miss starts. It does it when the engine is about 25% warm. Has never happened when the engine is at running temp. It's happened at the same engine temp several times in the last week. I changed the CPS after the first time but it did not help.
Thanks for any information. Bob

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
My powerstroke will miss, then backfire through the exhaust. The injecters make a racket when the miss starts. It does it when the engine is about 25% warm. Has never happened when the engine is at running temp. It's happened at the same engine temp several times in the last week. I changed the CPS after the first time but it did not help.
Thanks for any information. Bob

[/ QUOTE ] Bob
I have never heard a PSD backfire, except when there is something going on with the valves, sounds like a helicopter.
Are you sure the backfire is in the exhaust and not in the intake?
What kind of noise are the injectors making and are you sure it's the injectors making the noise?
Is this a repetitive noise or just one backfire on each warm up?
Is it running rough from the first turn of the key on start up?
Any SES lights coming on?
Did you have anyone scan it for codes?
Have you had any work done on the truck lately?
What is the ambient temperature when this is happening?
I assume the oil level is full and is not in need of a oil and filter change.
FMT

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FMT
"I have never heard a PSD backfire, except when there is something going on with the valves, sounds like a helicopter.
Are you sure the backfire is in the exhaust and not in the intake?"
It blows a rusty colored smoke out the tailpipe when it does it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"What kind of noise are the injectors making and are you sure it's the injectors making the noise?"
It sounds like air in the injectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"Is this a repetitive noise or just one backfire on each warm up?"
Does it just once, under acceleration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

"Is it running rough from the first turn of the key on start up?"
Runs fine, nice and smooth until the drop in power, the bang and puff of rusty colored smoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"Any SES lights coming on?"
No /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Did you have anyone scan it for codes?"
The time before it had a P0470 code but not this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

"Have you had any work done on the truck lately?"
No /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

"What is the ambient temperature when this is happening?"
The last two times it was 29 to 32 degrees. Before it was in the 60’s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

"I assume the oil level is full and is not in need of a oil and filter change."
Just change oil & filter 600 miles ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the reply, Bob

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Start by getting it scanned by a Ford WDS or NGS or something that will give you all the codes if this hasn't been done yet. Next check for loose connection to the valve covers and wire harness chaffing. If you find nothing I would remove the covers and and check the under valve cover harnesses real close for "rubbing shorts" or loose connections. There could be other things going on but this is the easiest place to start. This is defiantly a weird one.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Dude, backfiring? I did not know that diesel could backfire! Your signature doesn't say, are you running propane? This could backfire. Could you possibly have gotten a bad tank of fuel that had some percentage of gasoline in it? Does your fuel smell like diesel, or is there a fumey gasoline smell with it, too? I cannot imagine how you could get a diesel to backfire without some sort of vaporous (is this even a word?) fuel, like gas, pane, etc. If there are pockets of gasoline in your tank, it seems that would explain your noisy injectors, since the vaporized gas would sound like air, and even liquid gas isn't as lubricitous (once again, is this word?) as diesel, so it could contribute to the noise. The gas only partially burns in the cylinders, builds up in the exhaust manifolds until it hits the right mixture, and BOOM, backfire... Then the pocket of gas is gone, you are running diesel again, and it runs okay for a while. It is a long shot, but maybe it is your problem...??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like making up words also

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Speaking of my diesel also backfires through the exhaust apparently it’s a problem with 6.0 motors!! Cause I am not running gas and it has done it for a few months now mainly when it’s 25 to 50% warm..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts