The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I had my 2004 6.0 "bullet proofed" in 2012 with head stud, gasket, etc. and a new engine oil cooler was installed along with a coolant filter. I have been noticing that my EOT and ECT delta has been slowly creeping back up to ~20'F. A couple weekends ago I was towing my travel trailer and the delta widened to ~30'F while towing uphill.

I am thinking it's time to replace the engine oil cooler again, unfortunately. The local Ford dealership tells me $350 for diagnostic and ~$2200 to replace the engine oil cooler. They told me that I can skip the diagnostic if I so choose to but they won't guarantee that will fix the problem. I am leaning towards skip the diagnostics to save $350 and just have them replace the engine oil cooler. Are there anything else that can contribute to the widening EOT & ECT delta? Do you recommend that I have them run the diagnostic test first? If so for what am I looking for?

Regards,

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Any temperature sensor concerns aside, the only thing that will cause that is the oil cooler as you have concluded. Obviously the health of the cooling system must be checked and a proper flush of the system should be performed. It is interesting that you are having this issue with the EGR cooler removed and are using a coolant filter.What coolant is in the truck now and has the system ever been properly flushed?

·
Registered
363 Posts
My EGR cooler was deleted long before I bought my truck. I had similar symptoms about 2 years ago now - my deltas were up over 20 degrees towing. Its not that big a deal to change the cooler yourself. There's a lot of disassembly but otherwise its pretty straightforward. Its about 18 months since I put the new cooler in but I still obsessively watch the temps. We just got back from a trip towing our 8,000# boat. Deltas were a consistent 6 degrees - occasionally 8 degrees when the outside temps get up into the 90s.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any temperature sensor concerns aside, the only thing that will cause that is the oil cooler as you have concluded. Obviously the health of the cooling system must be checked and a proper flush of the system should be performed. It is interesting that you are having this issue with the EGR cooler removed and are using a coolant filter.What coolant is in the truck now and has the system ever been properly flushed?
Good morning. EOT/ECT sensors seem to work just fine. They registered EOT/ECT of 56'F this morning w/ ambient temp of 53'F. I have been using Shell ELC Ultra after the head stud/gasket change in 2012. The cooling system was flushed prior to the cooler change but not since then.

After discussing the same topic from another forum, I am considering:

1. dropping the coolant to determine the types of contaminants
2. reverse flush engine oil cooler
3. perform chemical flush with applicable chemical (Restore vs. Restore Plus)
4. +/- another reverse flush
5. IF these steps do not work then just bypass the dealer's diagnostic and have them replace the cooler.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts