The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doing the first oil change and it's a plug with a "O" ring for a gasket. Does anyone know the correct torque? I can give it a strong old school tightening, but it was not real tight from the factory. 6.2 gas engine. Thanks

· Registered
414 Posts
I'm sure there's a torque spec listed in the shop manual for this, but I just treat the drain plug like the oil filter - hand tight, then 1/4 to 1/2 additional turn. I've never had one leak or strip doing this for over 40 years.

· Registered
5,456 Posts
The specification is 17 lb/ft. Seems like a lot doesn't it?

Hand tight and then 1/4 to 1/2 turn is probably excessive. Hand tight... snug it up... all of this is subjective as "hand tight" or "snug" can mean different things to different people. This is why I no longer laugh at post like this. People who do not do this for a living usually don't know or have a feel for fastener torque. I do this for a living. I have a feel for what the appropriate "hand tight" or "snug it up" is. By design the drain plug threads should deform before the threads in the pan. If you encounter a drain plug that is difficult to spin out, it's a sign that it has been over tightened at some time. What does difficult mean? Once you break the plug loose, it should easily spin out using your fingers. If you have to put a wrench on it... Most of the time the plug is still usable however it should be replaced.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil Drain Plug

I will mark that under the hood by my oil change information. It 's interesting as my 2004.5 Dodge 5.9 Cummins has a full rubberized coated drain plug that you torque at 37/ft., but it has a lot more threads on the plug. Also this 2015 Ford 6.2 F350 has the best oil filter location I had ever had on a engine. :thumbsup: Thanks again

· Registered
22 Posts
X2 What Ford_Doctor said. Usually one hand(never two) with ummf is 12-15 ft lbs.

· Registered
266 Posts
I'm a fan of Fumoto oil drain valves. Have run them on previous vehicles without any problems. No Muss, no Fuss. :thumbsup:

· Registered
414 Posts
Hand tight and then 1/4 to 1/2 turn is probably excessive.
Let me clarify "hand-tight" - no tools used. Maybe I should have said finger tight to avoid any confusion.:lol:

· Registered
3,394 Posts
O ring sealing is not torque dependent. REMEMBER THIS!
The torque used in O ring applications is about it not being so loose it falls out from vibration loosening.
If you overtighten you can distort the area where o ring seals and either make it larger or at least no longer round and then it will leak and no amount of overtightening at that point will fix it.

Don't give into the urge that tighter is better in this case.

· Registered
414 Posts
Homegrown, can you provide the oil plug torque spec for a 2015 6.7L diesel please.

Sorry, not a clue - I'm strictly a gasoline guy............:frown2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.